Close

Question Software for both 3D printing and CNC machine...

I work for an artist and am trying to figure out the best software to get for him (though I'll be the one working on them). He just bought both a CNC machine and a Makerbot. I'll be taking his sketches and making designs from them. For the Makerbot, what he'll be printing tends to be cartoon-like and relatively simple, although he very well could go into more complex objects. For the CNC, I think we'll be routing simpler shapes and text. He also wants me to look into a handheld 3D Scanner. I feel overwhelmed, having no CAD experience. I have some graphic design practice, just simple stuff in Illustrator and Photoshop. I have played around with a couple of free trials of programs: Sketchup and Sculptris. I had a very frustrating time with Sculptris (sculpture based, starting with a ball of clay). Sketchup felt a lot better (additive, geometrical). There are plenty of other programs I know about, but we need to make a decision soon on what to buy and I don't have time to learn 20 different interfaces.

What's a good design program that can also export to G-code for a CNC machine, for someone who has never done 3D modeling or CAD? We cannot afford Maya. Is Rhino still popular, and is it user-friendly? It's been difficult to ask anyone about it since I'm his only employee and I don't know anyone who really works in this field.

Any help I can get, or a basic run-down of different "categories" of programs, would be very helpful to me!
    And as a sidenote, if anyone has thoughts on handheld 3D scanners, please share!

Thanks,
    J

Staff Engineer
    The choice of software really depends on what you're trying to make and how your mind works. If you're making organic kinds of things, then one category of software works best - the "virtual clay" idea is the most popular, but it works best with a haptic interface. I've really enjoyed using the Freeform system, which is quite sophisticated, but it's not cheap. 3DS is supposed to be coming out with a much less expensive haptic device soon, though. Take a look at Cubify.com for a mouse-driven version called Sculpt that's based on the same software. They also offer an inexpensive version of their Geomagic Design mechanical design software called Cubify Design. For this, and the CAM software used to translate CAD models into something the CNC machine can cut, check my site for more info. Rhino is still popular, but it does require some dedication to master. If you want something similar, but less complex, you might take a look at MOI (Moment of Inspiration), by the original designer of Rhino.

3DS also has a couple of handheld 3D scanners, based on sensors from Primesense, the company (recently acquired by Apple) that makes the Kinect device. I've used the Sense scanner, which is good for capturing full figures, less good for smaller objects. They just started shipping another one, called the i-Sense, which is smaller and more portable, and which plugs into the new generation of Apple i-pads. I haven't tried it yet, but here's a review from someone who did: http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/0...edfe5-64388873

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Thanks Andrew, that's really helpful to me, and once I did a little more research I happened to also be looking into the Cubify programs. I didn't realize Rhino is for Windows (with a free development version for Mac that doesn't have all the features), and we have a Mac. I think even though the things he does are cartoonish, they are not organic in the way that I've seen people use the sculpture-based programs. Really, though, that's something I'll have to discuss with him. I'm not positive that it's CAM software, but we got Vectric Cut3D bundled into the CNC purchase: http://www.vectric.com/products/cut3d.html. Thanks for the info on the scanners too; I will look into those.

J

Staff Engineer
    Yes, Vectric's Cut 3D is CAM software; it generates toolpaths from 3D models so you can cut them on your CNC machine. If you're going to use it, you'll need something besides a Mac, though. There really isn't much 3D software that works on the Mac OS, although now you can use emulators like Bootcamp to run Windows programs. They won't run your CNC machine, though - you'll probably need a desktop PC with a parallel port to do that.

Andrew Werby

I see. I don't understand why my boss bought the CNC machine without doing any research or knowing how to run it. He expects me and his other assistant, a jewelry fabricator, to operate the machine as well as create and set up all the designs. Neither of us have ever touched machinery that's anything like it. I don't know if he knows the level of training and skills needed for this stuff. Especially at the wage I'm making. Hmm. I'll figure this out!

J

CATIA will generate the paths for a CNC and the STL for a 3D printer. It is an engineering tool, so really a geometry defined design. Plus, you can use it to define the part immobilization for CNC. They have made a step towards "virtual clay" with their sub-tool called "imagine and shape". The licenses are pricey but it's really powerful and reliable.
    As awerby pointed out, if you're doing "organic" designs then it is clearly not the type of soft to use.

Staff Engineer
    Catia is a very powerful program, but it's high priced and comes with a commensurately steep learning curve. It doesn't sound like the Original Poster of this thread is really ready to jump into something like that, even if his boss wanted to spend the money. But it does sound like there's a lot of learning ahead for our OP, one way or another...

Andrew Werby

Your Boss is realizing the the future is digital manufacturing.
    Bless his heart for giving such modern tools to work with.
    Some bosses / companies will fund higher learning for their employees.
    Company I worked for provided a loaner computer and paid my tuition for a local software class.
    Computer modeling is very helpful skill set to have that improved my earning power.
    Jump in ... the water is fine.

So when looking at software to use examine what file formats it can import and export. What plug ins are available etc.
    A user interface that is easy understandable is nice.
    For me Sketch up was easy to learn but the path to a useable .stl export was difficult. It did set the path for me to learning other software.
    123D and Tinkercad are simple and export good .stl's
    Try everything you can your hands on