Close


Signup for our Free Webinar


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39
  1. #11
    Technician
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    50
    Do you have a own design .stl file that we can look at and mabey even testprint for you?

  2. #12
    Technologist Dargonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Trhuster View Post
    Do you have a own design .stl file that we can look at and mabey even testprint for you?
    I currently cannot upload any of the files that I have, but I have found a model that has a lot of similarities in detail, overhanging parts, and thin parts.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:227534/#files

    If you would be so kind to print this I would love to see it when its just finished printing with support on it; and of course with supports removed too.
    Would also like to know which settings you used - or what trial & error had to be done to make a perfect model. Factor like time and material used is useful too.
    Thanks in advance!

  3. #13
    Technician
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Dargonfly View Post
    I currently cannot upload any of the files that I have, but I have found a model that has a lot of similarities in detail, overhanging parts, and thin parts.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:227534/#files

    If you would be so kind to print this I would love to see it when its just finished printing with support on it; and of course with supports removed too.
    Would also like to know which settings you used - or what trial & error had to be done to make a perfect model. Factor like time and material used is useful too.
    Thanks in advance!
    If this is what you want to print a FDM printer is not the right way too go imo. Also that file is broken.

  4. #14
    Technologist Dargonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Trhuster View Post
    If this is what you want to print a FDM printer is not the right way too go imo. Also that file is broken.
    Well, I know that a SLA printer would grant more detail; but the material simply isn't that durable as I would like. Also; I don't see any problems with the file when opened in Solidworks or Blender.

    Regarding the quality of FDM printers;
    This is another sample of a FDM printed figurine that I found on Thingiverse and I found it's quality rather doable for post-processing:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/make:86973

  5. #15
    Technician
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Dargonfly View Post
    Well, I know that a SLA printer would grant more detail; but the material simply isn't that durable as I would like. Also; I don't see any problems with the file when opened in Solidworks or Blender.

    Regarding the quality of FDM printers;
    This is another sample of a FDM printed figurine that I found on Thingiverse and I found it's quality rather doable for post-processing:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/make:86973
    The second file is world apart compared to the first one. This is my second print i did on my Zortrax.

    CIMG1182.jpg

  6. #16
    Technician
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    50
    This how first file looks after slicing.

    Slice.jpg

  7. #17
    Technologist Dargonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Trhuster View Post
    This how first file looks after slicing.

    Slice.jpg
    It looks like there are parts missing on the basket on her back.

    Can you show the other print in better lighting? It's difficult to see the surface quality because it's over lit.

  8. #18
    Technician
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Dargonfly View Post
    It looks like there are parts missing on the basket on her back.

    Can you show the other print in better lighting? It's difficult to see the surface quality because it's over lit.
    No i don't have any better pic. But this print in this thread are simular: http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/...79-black-swan/

  9. #19
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5,503
    the second file would not need supports.

    You'll probably find that you start modelling with the bottom up print process in mind.

    And as geoff said the flashforge ('makerbot replicator dual' clone) - which is a dual head printer capable of using water soluble pva supports, or any other kind for that matter - would do you fine.

    I think you could probably get one on ebay for around 500 euros.

    Get it, get started - the more you print, the better your modelling for prints will get and the more experience you have the more knowlege you'll have for your next printer.

    Yes there is a lot to learn, but it's more than worth it :-)

    The sooner you start - the quicker you'll learn.

  10. #20
    Technologist Dargonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    the second file would not need supports.

    You'll probably find that you start modelling with the bottom up print process in mind.

    And as geoff said the flashforge ('makerbot replicator dual' clone) - which is a dual head printer capable of using water soluble pva supports, or any other kind for that matter - would do you fine.

    I think you could probably get one on ebay for around 500 euros.

    Get it, get started - the more you print, the better your modelling for prints will get and the more experience you have the more knowlege you'll have for your next printer.

    Yes there is a lot to learn, but it's more than worth it :-)

    The sooner you start - the quicker you'll learn.
    Thank you for your reply. I wholeheartedly agree on getting started as soon as possible, but I also find some knowledge and fun in researching as much as possible up front.

    Is there a reason that you'd suggest the Flashforge over other dual headed printers? Like the ultimaker 1 or makerbot for example?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •