Close

2-up to Kossel? looking for advice

Hi I picked a 2-up printer a few months back. its missing some parts but I think they could be easily printed.. got the extruder, stepper motors, rods and a heated bed, along with the printer power board.
    But Im wondering should I try and get the 2-up working or do I have enough parts to get a functioning mini kossel? I know nothing about the kossel just seems to be very popular here and after a quick google search I found all the .stl files to print one. Though there are no instructions..
    so any advice would be helpful here.. get the 2-up working or scavenge for a mini kossel?
    thanks I hope this is the correct forum for such a question.
    edit: this would actually be my 2nd printer. I currently own a FF Dreamer. so printing parts should be easy either way.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by rovino View Post
    Hi I picked a 2-up printer a few months back. its missing some parts but I think they could be easily printed.. got the extruder, stepper motors, rods and a heated bed, along with the printer power board.
    But Im wondering should I try and get the 2-up working or do I have enough parts to get a functioning mini kossel? I know nothing about the kossel just seems to be very popular here and after a quick google search I found all the .stl files to print one. Though there are no instructions..
    so any advice would be helpful here.. get the 2-up working or scavenge for a mini kossel?
    thanks I hope this is the correct forum for such a question.
    edit: this would actually be my 2nd printer. I currently own a FF Dreamer. so printing parts should be easy either way.
    There are instructions if you look hard enough

http://blomker.com/Kossel_Mini_Assembly_Guide_V1.0.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    There are instructions if you look hard enough

http://blomker.com/Kossel_Mini_Assembly_Guide_V1.0.pdf
    ahh well clearly you have better searching skillz than I. thank you. now to do some reading.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by rovino View Post
    ahh well clearly you have better searching skillz than I. thank you. now to do some reading.
    No not really, I just bought 2 kits off him and he supplies the manual

It's a little overpriced, but to be honest for me I would rather pay a couple extra hundred bucks to save me individually ordering all the parts, and at least this way I know they are exactly what I need, and the metal hot end he supplies is awesome.
    I won't say blomker's printed parts are good tho, they are for lack of a better word, atrocious. They are bright orange PLA that is so warped you can't use them, and has many splits in it. So am printing my own out.

I also bought this for the hotbed, cheap and effective

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LearCNC-1...0edf9ea&_uhb=1
    Last edited by Geoff; 08-15-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's a little overpriced, but to be honest for me I would rather pay a couple extra hundred bucks to save me individually ordering all the parts
    ^this !

Plus, you have change of ordering wrong part, or have part that dont fit toghether, etc... buying a "kit" is way easier, even more if it's the "first" printer !

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by nka View Post
    ^this !

Plus, you have change of ordering wrong part, or have part that dont fit toghether, etc... buying a "kit" is way easier, even more if it's the "first" printer !
    Honestly, truer words could not be spoken. When I decided to build mine, I decided that no kit was worth the price or met my criteria. After hours and hours of work on this thing to make it work I understand the practicality of a kit. This was not my first 3d printer kit, it was my first 3d printer period. It borrows some parts from the original Rostock, then other parts are self made, and some others are ideas to try out from others. I can say its been more than a uphill battle. In the end I spent about the same amount of money as buying a kit, had to do my own engineering, had to do my own tweaking, had a very steep learning curve. The easiest thing on this printer was the software.

Now I got it into my big fat head to design a lasshless geared extruder that utilizes laser printer gears I salvaged, with ~ 2-1 ratio. Again a uphill battle. Sometimes its nice to get things that are meant to work together in one large bundle. Think of lego set vs a pile of wood and a saw with nails as a comparison.

So if your a masochist, do your own engineering. If not buy a kit and have fun.

I really wanted to get into 3D printing and really understand this field. So I sourced all my parts and built it for around 500 dollars. It was a lot of work and time, but I know delta printers very, very well now. It's really up to you.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Well, my Kossel build is now complete, photo's to come...

All I can say is that after building a Reprap2 type and a prusa, the Kossel IS the easiest build and the fastest. Printed and built in 1 day.

I really​ had trouble finding a kossel kit for that price, you really need to look at maybe another $100 or $200 if you want some good gear (like a nice hex Jhead metal hot end or similar)

The open beams are where I would be starting, everything else is relatively easy to obtain.

You want for a mini kossel

9 x 240mm openbeam V-slot
    3 x 600mm open beam v-slot
    Last edited by Geoff; 08-18-2014 at 03:20 AM.