Close

Prototyped my first set of parts for someone!

Last night I printed my first parts to prototype for someone!

My boss at work (Outside of work we are good friends) has a Porsche 911 and is converting one intake (For Fuel Injection) to a different motor (Larger motor that was originally Carb). To make the intake work we needed to create an adaptor plate. We need to make sure that the rotation is correct, and that it will all bolt up. I drew the part and he was going to have it machined. That was over a year ago. He will need 6 of these. Well I drew the prints and created a 3d model. I set up with a friend that owns a machine shop to machine the parts and he was going to do it for my boss. Cost for the parts was pretty high as he has to create a fixture and do all kinds of stuff. Machined the first part and it did not work, as the rotation was off. I decided to see if I could just print the part with the adjustment and to find out if it worked. Brought it in this morning and my boss is stoked! He is going to try it and the amount of pla is next to nothing. Mind you it will not take the heat of an air cooled engine, but it will tell us if the model is correct, and then he can go back and have it machined. I could not have done this without the help of you guys and I wanted to pass on a big thank you.

Bern Parts.jpg

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    love to see the real world application. Good work.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Awesome stuff, Tachout! Glad to hear you were able to prototype some parts on your printer, that's my goal as well.

I recently printed out a trophy for a co-worker who was leaving and it was much appreciated. It's fun to be an early adopter of 3d printing!