Close

Disney Research Creates Tools for Making Complex 3D Printable Mechanical Objects

Disney research has been on a major role as of late when it comes to research of 3D printing applications. They have published another paper and subsequent video detailing a new processes which allows them to create complex mechanical 3D printable designs within two simple software tools. The software is capable of figuring out where rigid links can be placed to control smooth movements among an object. More details on all this can be found here: http://3dprint.com/11625/mechanical-3d-prints-disney/

Below is an example of a 3D printable model which has mechanical properties for smooth movements.

Engineer-in-Training
    That's great, I'm an animator and I can see how this would be very useful. Also for stop motion animation, animatronics and toys... no wonder Disney is behind it.

Staff Engineer
    As a mechanical engineer, I may have been drooling a little at the video. Granted, it doesn't take any kind of force loads into account, so it's not like it completely replaces an engineer when making an armature.

I think it's better appreciated by someone who has actually dont these kinds of kinematics by hand. That program was doing a day's worth of work in seconds.