Close

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your MODS

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    It's a dual hexagon extruder. I respect the decision to concentrate on one system rather than trying to be all things to all people.

I would be a bit careful on the brand new stuff from E3d for a while since they stepped on their ding a lings pretty good with the Phoenix printer deal.

Engineer
    It's a dual extruder for anything you can get to fit the spacing. If the new dual hotends fit, I see no reason to not use them.

Engineer
    For those of you who are not using Auto Bed Leveling yet, here is a caliper holder I made for the i3v. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:570778 It clips onto the X axis v-slot extrusions, and lets you use the caliper's depth gauge to level the print bed.

Please excuse the ugly filament. I'm trying to use it up as fast as I can, and usually paint it to hide it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    It's a dual extruder for anything you can get to fit the spacing. If the new dual hotends fit, I see no reason to not use them.
    Agreed.

I think the hot ends you mention, though are for bowden use. While you could use my extruder to drive a dual bowden system, it wasn't really designed for that. There are probably better options.

The Itty Bitty Dual Extruder is really all about getting the hot ends as close to each other as possible and minimizing moving mass. Neither of these are issues for the bowden.

Very cool thread. I ordered a i3v 10" last weekend and am hoping I can get most of Clough42's mods to work for it as I am new to the 3d printing world. Thanks for all the hard work guys

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    I think the hot ends you mention, though are for bowden use. While you could use my extruder to drive a dual bowden system, it wasn't really designed for that. There are probably better options.
    It seems so. I just got a reply back from E3D regarding the nozzle separation/heatsink port separation distance. 18mm. Looks like the Chimera/Cyclops will not be usable with this extruder due to being too narrow.

Engineer
    Here is my first custom mod for the i3v

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:633186

Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    Here is my first custom mod for the i3v

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:633186
    What does it look like mounted?

Engineer
    Like this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Z-ROD SUPPORT BRACKET
    I've published an improved support bracket for use at the top of the i3v frames to Thingiverse - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:636381. There's been another bracket out there, but I found ways to improve various aspects of it. Predefined STL files with and without a bearing recess are provided, along with the openSCAD source that allows the entire bracket to be customized.

The same bracket would be installed on both sides; I don't offer one that includes mounting provisions for the MakerFarm spool mount.

These won't improve print quality. In fact, if they're installed with pre-exisiting bent threaded rods, print quality might actually suffer since any bend may force the X carriage to wobble around a bit as the bent threaded rod is rotated. The brackets are intended to help prevent straight threaded rods from getting bent. In my case, I've been on borrowed time before our grand daughter grabbed one of the rods and bent it over.

Last edited by printbus; 05-29-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: migrated to offsite image storage due to 3DPrintBoard issues

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast