Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

The 3D Printer Broom

We've seen a similar device in the NVBots' NVPrinter. The 3D Printer Broom is a device that sweeps a printed object off of the 3D printed bed once it is complete. This allows for the printing of multiple objects while the printer is unattended. Borri, the man who designed this plans to launch the 3D Printer Broom as an indiegogo campaign sometime soon, and offering it for between $20 and $80. Read more at: http://3dprint.com/10811/3d-printer-broom/

What do you guys think?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    We've seen a similar device in the NVBots' NVPrinter. The 3D Printer Broom is a device that sweeps a printed object off of the 3D printed bed once it is complete. This allows for the printing of multiple objects while the printer is unattended. Borri, the man who designed this plans to launch the 3D Printer Broom as an indiegogo campaign sometime soon, and offering it for between $20 and $80. Read more at: http://3dprint.com/10811/3d-printer-broom/

What do you guys think?
    I've actually built my own version, and am upgrading it for this new machine i'm building, but the one above is not alot different and will run into the same problems.

Issues I have found that hampered mine...

1. All filament has different sticking properties
    2. all heatbed surfaces also have different properties - I can leave an object on blue tape and it is stuck fast, and if it's left there to cool it can be near impossible to crack off without damaging it, or making the bed unlevel.
    3. Force required at a certain point means that really, a dual carriage way is needed for equal scraping force across the plate.
    4. A simple servo will not do the job, if you want to go servo powered, it will need to be a decent torque rating, and even then it's going to struggle knocking some prints off.
    5. A sliding rail is definitely the best method.
    6. The only time I would consider this an automated or safe method is when you print ABS, raftless on kapton. I found there are so many things to account for that either my scraper would bend, OR the worst
    thing that happens is the heatbed is lifted on one side due to the pressure.

I think most of us know while some things come off easy once printed, depending on the material used and temperatures, they don't come off so easy sometimes.