Close

JoyFit, 3D Printed Customized Bras

We have seen companies who are 3D printing shoes so that customers can get the perfect fit. This same straatgy is now being used by a startup called Joyfit who aims to 3D print custom bras for women around the world. The way it works, is women take a video of themselves, as well as make a few selections via a mobile app. They then upload this information to the cloud and Joyfit will 3D print a custom fitting bra for just $99.99. The company is currently seeking funding on istart.org to see this business plan through. More details can be found on this company here: http://3dprint.com/10374/joyfit-3d-printed-bras/

Would you wear a 3D printed bra? Would you consider sending a private video to a company in order to have it 3d printed?

Engineer-in-Training
    I'm curious what material they would be. I don't think 3D printing is the optimal method. Not many clothes, much less underwear, are made by melting things, other than things like buttons, clasps and such. The closest I can think of are nylons, and those are designed to be porous and still I hear they aren't all that comfortable to wear. I think custom cut & sewn-to-fit textiles would be better, which could be heavily automated if desired. If there's a version with wire supports, a machine like the DIWire could bend up custom fit wires. As such, 3D printing clothing seems like jumping on a bandwagon rather than being the best solution to the problem.

Engineer
    ummm feel free to send me pics and ill take a shot at it!! lol

Senior Engineer
    Hmm, saves me having to borrow the wifes.

ALSO, The Photo in their Logo Was stolen from Times Square, seems funny that they say IP will be their first thing to do when they clearly don't respect IP law's if they are stealing images...

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ustomized-Bras

I'm a developer and I was looking to see if someone had beaten me to this idea...and so you have! lol. But it's all good because (as a woman with boobs) as far as I'm concerned this type of business would be for the good of woman kind! I'm so sick of cookie cutter bra sizes. Breasts are not all exactly alike and the cup sizes and band sizes out there in today's stores are based off of the dimensions of a few model women that were used to approx most women's breast sizes. But there are some who are half, a third, or 3/4 in between these sizes. and what bothers me the most is the bra straps nowadays! If you are an adult woman and you go to the store and you are an A-C cup they for some reason now make the bra straps now with these very thin flimsy straps that are made really for training bras for pre-teen girls. Not for women. But if you are a D cup or above they do make the straps a little bit thicker and stronger....but did it ever occur to them that some women with a c-cup would also like supportive bra straps? did it ever occur to them that some women would like razor back straps with one strong hook that don't have to be completely unhooked and readjusted every time they put it on, or have to put it over their heads to get it on? Some women have broad shoulders, some have sloped shoulders, some have boney shoulders.....bras need to be customized in order to fit properly and protect your back. especially with sports bras! wearing an uncomfortable bra also affects confidence and mood because it consistently distracts you throughout the day.

Would I mind having to take a private video in order to get a more comfortable bra? Well, if it saved me the pain of having to spend 6 years wearing an old bra while looking for a new one to take the place of the one they don't make anymore, or having to spend over 60 dollars for a sports bra, or having to wear one that isn't the right size that causes me back pain or chafing on my boobs because it is too tight....then I wouldn't mind.

Charlob: this project is only a cup insert to the bra -- it is not a fully customized 3D printed bra, fyi...

Quote Originally Posted by charlob View Post
    I'm a developer and I was looking to see if someone had beaten me to this idea...and so you have! lol. But it's all good because (as a woman with boobs) as far as I'm concerned this type of business would be for the good of woman kind! I'm so sick of cookie cutter bra sizes. Breasts are not all exactly alike and the cup sizes and band sizes out there in today's stores are based off of the dimensions of a few model women that were used to approx most women's breast sizes. But there are some who are half, a third, or 3/4 in between these sizes. and what bothers me the most is the bra straps nowadays! If you are an adult woman and you go to the store and you are an A-C cup they for some reason now make the bra straps now with these very thin flimsy straps that are made really for training bras for pre-teen girls. Not for women. But if you are a D cup or above they do make the straps a little bit thicker and stronger....but did it ever occur to them that some women with a c-cup would also like supportive bra straps? did it ever occur to them that some women would like razor back straps with one strong hook that don't have to be completely unhooked and readjusted every time they put it on, or have to put it over their heads to get it on? Some women have broad shoulders, some have sloped shoulders, some have boney shoulders.....bras need to be customized in order to fit properly and protect your back. especially with sports bras! wearing an uncomfortable bra also affects confidence and mood because it consistently distracts you throughout the day.

Would I mind having to take a private video in order to get a more comfortable bra? Well, if it saved me the pain of having to spend 6 years wearing an old bra while looking for a new one to take the place of the one they don't make anymore, or having to spend over 60 dollars for a sports bra, or having to wear one that isn't the right size that causes me back pain or chafing on my boobs because it is too tight....then I wouldn't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BRoTh View Post
    Charlob: this project is only a cup insert to the bra -- it is not a fully customized 3D printed bra, fyi...
    yeah, well as a new startup they are probably starting out small with just the inserts and then expanding the customization as the business progresses. There are companies out there that are already 3d printing shoes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they end up creating entire bras with customizable straps etc.