Close

Another Slic3r question

Transmission_STL.stl

I found a really cool model that I want to print. I open it in Meshmixer and it looks fine. The base would be flat on the print table. I take the same model file, dump it into Slic3r and it has the base perpendicular to the print table. Is there a way to fix this? Not sure why it is giving me this. Everything else seems to go in fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachout View Post
    Transmission_STL.stl

I found a really cool model that I want to print. I open it in Meshmixer and it looks fine. The base would be flat on the print table. I take the same model file, dump it into Slic3r and it has the base perpendicular to the print table. Is there a way to fix this? Not sure why it is giving me this. Everything else seems to go in fine.
    NetFabb basic says there are errors in the .STL file. It can fix them for you. With errors in the .STL, very often the file doesn't slice correctly.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I had one design from Thingiverse that I rotated in NetFabb Basic so that Slic3r would slice it in the orientation the way I wanted it. That design was chock full of errors too, but using Netfabb to only fix the errors still left the part oriented the way it was.

You're still likely using Slic3r 0.9.9. Nothing necessarily wrong with that but I'll mention that Slic3r 1.1.6 appeared to hang (left alone for over an hour) on the design once I rotated it. Version 0.9.9 got through it OK, but it did take a while.

When I ran into the orientation issue, I looked at Meshmixer to see if I could rotate it with that, but wasn't sure.
    Last edited by printbus; 07-20-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Here is a rotated and 'fixed' version. It is rotated 90 degrees about the X-Axis.
    Attached Files Attached Files