Close

would a magnet hurt a stepper motor

Just wondering if a magnet would hurt a stepper motor. I wantt o take my mag base and dial indicator and work on the bed leveling. I could adjust it must better with the dial indicator on the surface, and be able to move the bed and all around on the x and y axis. I just do not want to hurt the stepper.

Senior Engineer
    It will make the stepper change it's step angle, that change may or may not be permanent depending on how strong the magnet is and where it is specifically placed.

I stick really strong magnets (out of dead disk drives) on my steppers all the time. Probably I shouldn't run my printer with them there, but I do anyway. And I haven't seen any problems.

Just to be on the safe side I will just find another way then. Really think setting this with the dial indicator will get me closer as I can see and read that thing.

Senior Engineer
    It doesn't need to be that close unless you print without a raft. I suppose it depends how you use your printer. I know that if I did mine with a DTI it would drive me crazy trying to get it parallel to the XY and have it change every time you print.