Close

Student

Question RepRapPro Mendel or Ecksbot?

My first build, what must it be?

I have joined a group of skilled guys busy with their own 3D printers. Very keen to help me build my own.

Currently I've got a choice between the Ecksbot 3D printer (http://reprap.org/wiki/Ecksbot) and the RepRapPro Mendel (http://www.reprappro.com/documentation/ ... _Tricolour). I first want to start with the single printhead and later on do the tricolour version on either the Ecksbot or the RepRapPro Mendel.

As a newbie, I am not sure which way to go. Any suggestions on what I must choose? What will be the best model? Anything I have to look out for that could be a problem? What are the major differences between the two printers? My funds are limited but I do have access via the workgroup (the guys who help me) to all the components.

My main focus will be to print small parts (toys, etc).

Any suggestions from you guys?

Thanks

Heino

Build a Prusa i3 Mendel. Much more secure framework will yield crisper prints. I had build the original threaded rod Mendels back in the day but it is real difficult to keep the structure from tweaking when printing at fast speeds. This would inevitably lead to some shifting and loss of resolution. We do not seem to get that with the Prusa frame? All the rest of the printer is pretty much standard reprap stuff. Just my .02 and observations, your actual mileage may vary ;-)

Student
    I will certainly look at what you have suggested. From what I have read so far it looks like a very fine printer. I will most probably consider this but have to look at finances as well. Thanks for your advice.

Technologist
    My first printer was a Prusa i2. The threaded rod frame is a real pain but once I got it put together it worked great. The show stopper for me was the build height. Because of the design, you are limited to about 5.5 inches of build height. You can still make plenty of stuff but I wanted to go higher. There is really no way to mod the i2 (nor the two you list above for that matter) to increase the build height.

The i3 will give you almost eight inches of build height and be much easier to construct. Makerfarm sells kits for under $600, less the power supply and glass for the heated bed. You could also build the frame yourself and get your buddies to print the rest: http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_i3_Build_Manual

Good luck. I'm on my 3rd printer in a year. It is very addicting and a great hobby.

Cheers,

KDog

Student
    The height issue is really a valid point you’re mentioning here. At the end I believe this together with the more secure framework will definitely be a very good reason to build the Prusa I3.

Valuable advice you gave!

Thanks, Heino

My first was the i2. Good build. PITA to keep the bed level.
    Current build (still WIP) is an i3. Custom job. Going well so far. Wooden frame.

My first was the i2. Good build. PITA to keep the bed level.
    Current build (still WIP) is an i3. Custom job. Going well so far. Wooden frame.

COULD try a crazy (to me it is) build - Delta bot.