Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

3D Printing of Clothing & What does Under Armour have planned?

When most people talk about 3D printing of clothing, they think that it is still at least a decade away. How could we possibly 3D print fabric?

Many clothing companies are already using 3D printing on a daily basis in prototyping products. Some companies have even begun creating final products using the latest 3D printing technology. New materials are becoming available constantly, and the ability to 3D print and 3D weave with cloth like materials is beginning to look like a reality.

I believe that we will see the 3D printing of clothing within the next 5 years, although that's just my opinion. I recently had a chance to speak with Alan Guyan, who is Under Armour's 3D printing expert. Some of the things he said really opened my eyes, and made be believe that we are very close to one day printing out our own clothing, not only in factories, but perhaps even in our own homes.

Check out what Guyan had to say about Under Armor's use of 3D printers, a "BIG" announcement that is coming soon from the athletic wear company, and Guyan's qualms with current industrial level 3D printers at http://3dprint.com/8722/under-armour-3d-printing/

Great article, and excellent insight by Alan. I think that it will be the under armours and reeboks and nikes of the world that end up finding a way to 3D print clothing. It will then be other DIY'ers that will bring the technology to homes. I just don't know how long that will take. Could be 2 years or 25 years.