Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Staff Engineer
    Since you now own your own printer, you can go ahead and offer to print people's parts for them for just the cost of the filament. It makes about as much sense as buying expensive 3D modeling software, creating a nice 3D model, and uploading it to Thingiverse for everybody to use for free...

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    ... as much sense as buying expensive 3D modeling software, creating a nice 3D model, and uploading it to Thingiverse for everybody to use for free...
    - All the time :-D

You cannot calculate like that. Printing a model with 3D printer will save a lot money and time. If you customize a model, it's not only more expensive, but also time-consuming.

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    ok here goes a tricky one, whats the lenght of taulman's bridge nylon?? i manage to get an aprox for most prints using all the info from the latest post and its working wonders, but now i got some nylon bridge, but i cant find the lengh of it, and this is one i defintly dont wana waiste even a gram, is too damn expensive. cheers

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you think that's expensive ? Try buying bronzefil.

have to admit that both makerware and simplify3d give me length of filament used. Just divide that by 4.375 (filament diameter 1.75 nozzle 0.4 so length of extruded filament is 4.375 times longer than filament taken from the roll). and you have the length of filament used.

To work out total length of any filament. Get a jewellers digital scale (about £10 from amazon) weigh 10gms and measure it's length.
    Then just multiple that 10gms divided into the weight of the total spool.

As to what to sell prints for. Well as mentioned it depends on whether it's your original design or just something you downloaded off the net.
    If it's your design. Then it's unique and you can charge a sensible amount.

The thing is - with any homemade item you can never charge for your time or things would cost too much.

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    well, i been working on this for some time and i was using the total used lenght of filament, then divide that betwen the total lenght of the roll, and then multiply that by the price of the roll, and it was working fairly ok, but i didnt know the extruded filament was longer, i guess i need check that, as for the way to measure i need to buy an scale, i dont have one, anything i will tell you back people

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12