Close

FUSE, Filament Welding Clamp

Have you ever run into the problem of running out of 3D printer filament mid-print? This can happen often with larger prints. Instead of having to figure out a way to feed a new spool into the feeder, if this can even be done, one man has come up with a new device for 59 euros. It's called FUSE, and it is basically a clamp which welds two different strands of 3D printer filament together. Whether during a print or prior to starting a print, it will give you peace of mind that you will not run out. More details on their Indiegogo campaign can be found here: http://3dprint.com/8845/fuse-3d-printer-filament/ Check out the short video clip below showing how the FUSE clamp works:

Engineer-in-Training
    There is a need for something like this.

I don't see a provision where FUSE automates the process, which is necessary for unattended fusing implied in the article.

The fusing could theoretically be done prior to stepping away from the print. Basically Fuse two spools, or part of one spool with a full spool together, then leave.

Engineer-in-Training
    You'd need to unspool the first roll first, otherwise you wrap the filament of the second fused roll back around with it.

Greetings.
    I write this post to clarify your doubts.
    The best option to splice rolls, is wait to be low filament and unroll.
    But if you can not wait, you can cut the roll by where you are, and splice with the new. Some other time, you can splice the remaining material.
    Actually the system isn`t automated, bacause the clamp excessively expensive.
    In my experience, it's easy to schedule jobs.
    Imagine you want to print a piece for 20 hours. And you're not sure you have enough material on the roll. At the same time, much material on the roll and do not want to unroll.
    I usually spend the old roll in the moments that I'm near the printer, and splice the new roll the times I'm not home or at night.
    Finally, the filament is in the old coil, Splice the new roll and I do rotate. As the old spool unrolls, rolled into the new.
    It is really easy to do.
    The next few days will try to upload a video.
    Yours truly.
    Pedro
    Last edited by fuseclamp; 07-12-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Well it seems the indiegogo campaign is not going so well. First people who got delivered claimed it dangerous and now no news for a month.

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by fuseclamp View Post
    Greetings.
    I write this post to clarify your doubts.
    Yours truly.
    Pedro
    Pedro,
    - I think your product is interesting and that it could be used very effectively in the 3D printing environment. My concern that I have is with the comments left in regards to your campaign. They don't really give me the warm fuzzy feeling, so I have a few questions...

1. Has the issue with the inline fuse been addressed? (a few comments and stories of this device overheating, melting the wires a bit, & and blowing the outlet breaker instead of the inline fuse.)
    2. Overheating and melting wires; Has the root cause of this issue been identified and fixed?
    3. Missing and delayed shipments; Are you overwhelmed and not able to keep up with production? (There have been some comments on the product not showing up and one that had a the person receive an empty box.)

Yes, confirmed, this Pedro is a fraud. He has not delivered his campaign, has completely stopped answering mail, phone and website contact form since December 2014. Bizarrely he still has a sales website and is even advertizing a v1.2 ?