Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

CraftBot 3D Printer Launches on Indiegogo

Well, there is yet another 3D Printer that has just launched on Indiegogo. This time it is the CraftBot from a company called CraftUnique. It is priced starting at $399, and going up to $499 depending on how soon you back it. They promise a quality product that is easy to use. It also comes with their own CraftWare 3D printing software, but will work with other software as well. Here are some specs

• Build size – 250x200x200mm (approx. 10x8x8 inches)
    • Removable & Heatable build platform
    • Large 2.8″ QVGA Touchscreen LCD
    • Printer dimensions of 41 x 36 x 38cm
    • Material compatibility – PLA, ABS, Nylon
    • Filament size: Standard 1.75mm
    • Nozzle diameter – 0.4mm
    • Minimum layer height – 50 microns
    • Weight – 13kg
    • X & Y positioning accuracy – 15 micron

Read more about this printer at http://3dprint.com/8626/craftbot-3d-printer/

Student
    I've backed it, mainly because of its short lead time of only 1 month, which if they deliver on means I don't have to wait 6-12 months to find out if I've purchased a lemon.
    From what I can tell it seems these guys already have a working product and are just using the crowdfunding campaign as more of a marketing and retail tool with a loss-leading price over their $699 website price rather than the usual crowdfunding support to turn a concept into a product.
    However I'm still a bit skeptical of it all, the campaign, video, and website all seems almost to good to be true for $399 and I've also tried downloading their CraftWare software from their site but it comes up with “404 error, We’re sorry, but the page you were looking for doesn't exist.”
    As far as the printer goes though, if it does show up then I'll be very happy if it performs as advertised for US$399 (+$105 Shipping to NZ) and I quite like the simple utilitarian aesthetics.
    Only negative point I can see in the specs are that it only has a print speed of 50mm/sec which is a bit disappointing when others are now boasting of speeds in the 200mm/sec plus ranges.

Sorry, there was an update on our website late in the evening.
    CraftWare download link is now fixed.
    Thank you.

Student
    UPDATE: thanks hjani1970 for getting that link sorted.
    So I've downloaded, installed and taken the software for a test run and I have to say from what I've tested out so far I've been very impressed. So much so that based on the quality of the software I'd almost increase my order to 2 of the printers if the shipping wasn't so high. (maybe they could offer a deal for combined shipping???)

@hjani1970, I see in the print settings you have the options open for pushing beyond 50mm/sec, so is the speed you list on your website just a guide for achieving the best quality with the printer? have you ran tests above those speeds?
    By the way I'm loving the interactive previews for the settings, that is definitely a feature that will help those new to the world of 3D Print settings.

Yorke, I bought one too. Looks really good for what it is, at the price and lead time. 50mm/s is slow, however if it prints without a hickup it will be well worth the money. Maybe later they will offer a upgrade to increase the speed. I can't afford a Makergear M2. This is the printer to get in my opion. However this craftbot was an oppertunity I could not pass up.

Engineer-in-Training
    Is CoreXY, yes?

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    Is CoreXY, yes?
    From looking closely at the video, it does appear to be.