Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Cobblebot 3D Printer

The Cobblebot 3D printer is here, and they are looking to raise $100,000 on crowdfunding site Kickstarter. The cobblebot printer features a huge build envelope of 15" all around. With a build envelope of this size you would expect to spend thousands of dollars for this machine. The Cobblebot however, is just $299 to those who back their campaign. Below you will find some of the more general specs of this 3D printer:

• Build Envelope: 15″ x 15″ x 15″
    • Printer Speed: Current Max for High Quality prints – 150mm / sec; Absolute Max – 250mm / Sec
    • Layer Height: 50-350 micron
    • Printer Size: 24″ x 20″ x 20″
    • Printer Weight: roughly 17 lb
    • Materials supported: ABS, PLA, Nylon, Polycarbonate, Flexible Filament, LayWood, PVA, HDPE.

More details on this printer can be found here: http://3dprint.com/8597/cobblebot-3d-printer/ . Let us know if you have backed this printer!
    Below is a picture of the printer's hot end nozzle.

Staff Engineer
    >August: finish design, make injection molds, lease production space
    >September: start of part production

It's like listening to a kid go on about how he's going to be an astronaut and knowing that you just can't explain to him that he's going to be too tall to fit in the space shuttle by his genetics...

Engineer-in-Training
    I like the design, at least, moving beds have generally annoyed me. I understand why it's done, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    >August: finish design, make injection molds, lease production space
    >September: start of part production
    Oops!

When I got mold quotes, they generally said 3 months before it can make parts. One month is highly optimistic.

A machine of that size should be an exoskeleton, in my opinion. I don't think a consumer machine that size is going to be very fun for the user while they figure out warping on 12+" parts in an open design and without a heated bed. I do see a heated bed and enclosure are stretch goals.

The idea of a 6" 128 x 64 graphical LCD is comical. Even at 3", they're crude by modern standards. If the machine is Arduino-based, it's also going to be clunky. I much prefer the smaller text-only LCD for these machines, they're a lot more responsive.
    Last edited by JRDM; 07-09-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Staff Engineer
    I do believe that they're also underestimating the brobdingnagian paperwork labrynth they face in the process of leasing commercial space for their business.

Engineer-in-Training
    I do believe that they're also underestimating the brobdingnagian paperwork labrynth they face in the process of leasing commercial space for their business.
    Oh, yes. Probably that too. Just finding the right place can easily take over a month.

I tried looking up his work experience & business experience and didn't find anything - at least yet.

I decided to back; it still seems a little fishy, but the creator has finally uploaded a coherent video of the printer actually printing on the main page. The worst the above problems could do would be delaying the production/delivery of the printer, but at least we know it's probably not a scam.

I really hope the $1m stretch goal can be met, so you can back @ http://kck.st/1qTC8NO.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Koisn View Post
    The worst the above problems could do would be delaying the production/delivery of the printer, but at least we know it's probably not a scam.
    I never accused it of being a scam. But the problems are a pretty good indicator that the team is in over their heads, and that can lead to a steady march to completely innocent long-term failure even with the best of intentions at heart. But good intentions you don't get your money back after a bankruptcy any more than bad ones.

I never accused it of being a scam. But the problems are a pretty good indicator that the team is in over their heads, and that can lead to a steady march to completely innocent long-term failure even with the best of intentions at heart. But good intentions you don't get your money back after a bankruptcy any more than bad ones.
    It simply boggles my mind that they managed to raise nearly $250k with a 41 second video of someone saying "you need a big printer"?! I sorta guess that's the description of "oversold". Some more specs have come to light -

1] MASSIVE 76 oz/in stepper motors - they are evidently better know as "NEMAS".
    2] Flexible compressible reusable aluminum couplers to support your threaded rods.
    3] RepRapDiscount Hexagon hotend in the latest video.
    4] Acrylic print surface. 80c Tg - keep your hotend far away.
    5] Cantilevered Y supported by Z.
    6] Marlin on RAMPS with a gLCD
    7] 8825's running in 1/32 mode

Acrylic print surface is is pretty much a joke, and trying to run 1/32 on an AVR is deadly - combine it with gLCD and I'm not sure you'll get 40mm/s out of it without stuttering.

The math works out until you get to the v-slot and the labor to assemble it - forget the employees, injection molding, and building leases. I also wonder what logic they are using to design the plastic pieces - they don't appear to be optimized for IM?

I'm in for the moment - the bits cover the costs - but getting nothing when they spend it all on molds is a very likely outcome, so not sure I'll stay in for more than grins.
    Last edited by SystemsGuy; 07-23-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    I see so many crowdfunded 3D printers, and have known several that have been dissapointing. Makibox took 15 months and the structure is still questionable at best. Part of that delay was "mission creep", I think trying to do a pellet extruder when it wasn't promised or even development work started yet. Buccaneer reneged on the heated bed and was supposed to deliver Feb 2014. I know some people got them by the videos, but I'm not sure if they're actually done shipping the rewards yet.

There's been a couple 3D printer cancellations lately, before the campaign finished, and that was a good thing in both cases.

Yes, he finally showed the machine printing a calibration cube, one that's a bit flawed at that. I doubt he built the Dalek or Yoda using that machine if he's later showing off the build of a calibration cube as proof the machine works.

These people are trying to outdo each other on price. And that's deadly for people that don't appear to have business, engineering or logistics experience. Most of these situations, I think you're most likely buying a box of frustrations, assuming you even get the box.
    Last edited by JRDM; 08-01-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    So how does it work, when exactly can these guys cash in in the process? just as the goals met? or after first deliveries?
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast