Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Yea, but we have to wait for the Prusa i3 30" before we can print the wheels...

I like you base idea. I cut squares of rubber from an inner tube, folded them and placed them in 6 spots under mine. It made it quieter, reduced vibration and keeps from sliding when I move the bed around. Maybe I'll do a base then put rubber feet under that. The rubber is a great noise dampener and shock/vibration absorber.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

After 31 hours of continuous printing with numerous 90 degree corners and 10% infills, my stylized NYC skyscraper base for a custom Marvel superhero sculpt is finished. Printer basically sits on a 1/4 thick neoprene sleeve and doesn't miss a beat!

0.1mm height.

NYC Base.jpg

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Meow is right....puuurfect... I'm assuming you had no supports because the overhang was only around 20 degrees or something? Really clean. That's a Makerfarm printing at .10mm. Is that correct? Thirty-one hours, yikes... What was your perimeter speed? Had to be 15 or so to be so clean.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

You're correct, Rob, no supports needed on this guy. I was tempted to print at 0.05mm but decided it was a bit of a waste haha. I usually save 0.05mm for hi res character sculpts. But yes, 0.1mm at 30mm/s, I was being overly cautious due to the corners but it should be able to handle 50mm/s without problems.

Took a short video earlier, sorry for the dogs barking...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    Last edited by MeoWorks; 03-16-2014 at 11:15 PM.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    You know, I believe what I read too much and don't experiment as much as I should. I read somewhere that the minimum layer for our printer was .16 and I've never gone thinner. I'm so glad that you've opened my eyes. I need to push the limits more. I mean, for the most part what's the worst that will happen, I'll waste some plastic? I'm going to do a super nice print of something at .1mm. Glad to hear that you've even gone thinner. I'm assuming at that thinness your E-Steps need to be really, really close.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Yeah, I'd like to say it easy, but it took weeks to calibrate this thing to this point! Such a pain, but so worth it

Go for 0.1mm, this printer can do that height EASY!

Regarding, "I wonder sometimes if the problems people have assembling their machines is more due to inexperience with assembling kits of any sort, and a bit of a lack of mechanical skills" I would say that the problems are more easily mitigated by calibrating the laser cutter once in a while rather than expecting customers to have experience putting together kits and an aptitude for the "mechanics" thereof. I understand some people are really into the kit aspect and actually -like- assembling kits, but I think most people who want a 3d printer are more enthusastic about the printing than about the assembly, and I definitely fall in that category. This is not to say that I didn't do my best to assemble it correctly; after paying for the kit I naturally intended to make as good a printer out of my kit as possible and this meant following the official instructions as closely as I could. It's true that I didn't avail myself of the after sales support; I could've e-mailed their team (i.e., Colin) and said "look these parts really don't fit together can you send me another set". I chose not to, because, each time I ran into difficulty it seemed that forcing the parts together was a much faster way to get printing.

My advice to prospective buyers in this price range is still to go with a classic reprap rather than a -cheap- framed kit. Of course, people willing to pay more have a lot more options including higher-quality framed kits or fully assembled printers. The problem is nobody can enter the market and say "look, I sell a kit similar to makerfarm for $200 more and what that buys you is the parts actually fit together since I calibrate my laser cutter every day". Always the cheaper kit produced with lower cost will slurp up the whole market simply because 99% of folks will risk it for a $200 saving. Sending out replacement parts to the few people who request them is cheaper than calibrating the laser every day. So I don't blame the folks at makerfarm, I blame the mad rush we call capitalism ;-)

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    That makes a lot of sense. I guess I got one on a day after a calibration. Mine fit so well that it was hard to imagine someone having issues. I have read a few posts about how graciously Colin sends new parts out. He really does back it up but if what you are saying is correct, he could save a lot of redundant mailings with more frequent calibrations. Thanks for that observation.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

To go back at the noise problem ive told earlier,

I noticed due the vibirations it had on lower speeds it could be just the glass/heated bed vibirating to much as it has alot of unsupported sides,
    I did a heavier item on it when printing, it reduced the noise quiet alot,
    So i guessed if downwards force reduces the vibiration with getting it more stabile, Upwards should do the trick as good,

I did some spongye material under the middle of the heated bed, aprox 1x1 inch, and it did reduce the noise quiet a bit,

I guess if you did this in a + pattern (2 horizontal, 2 vertical, one in the middle) it could reduce it quiet a bit.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345