Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LionHead 3D Scanner / Printer on KS

Anyone back this?
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ith-li-modelin

My question is, what do you think the quality of this scanner is. I already 3D print with my Makerbot, but was wondering if this is worth backing just for the scanner. Looks pretty legit.

The scanner quality should be quite good, from what they are saying. I am considering backing it, but would like to see some more video first.

Hi ronnytedeski and MyManJan,

Thanks for posting about the Lionhead.

My name is Nathan Patterson and I work at Radiant. The scanner in the Lionhead Bunny, our beta printer/scanner, is a silhouette based scanning technique. Our current accuracy is +- 2mm of the object dimensions, but we are still working on our initial calibration routines to improve on this accuracy. To create each model we use the data collected from pictures taken to carve away voxels. Li currently uses voxels that are 0.5mm on a side but we have been testing 0.25mm voxels in the office lately and this switch also provides some improvements to scan quality.

What other types of things would you like to see in our videos? I'd be happy to do another scanning video and include some other objects that I've scanned.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Student
    Just found this and checked in on the project. Funding was cancelled. SAD.
    Looked fun, but I'm assuming the reward levels were a little too spendy...?

I wonder if they removed the printer assembly altogether and just pitched the scanner portion as a value-based alternative to the Makerbot Digitizer. The software looks pretty polished, and if it had an export function for 3D printing with an external service (Shapeways/what-have-you), as well as maybe like a MineCraft component, it could still maybe work. Lots of games are using voxel right now. This would make a great with any and all of them.

I'm not down on the printer, but every Tom, Dick and Harry is trying to Kickstart one right now.

We're in the process of adding STL export and uploading to Shapeways for Li as well as general usability improvements. Minecraft import/export will likely have to wait, though. Have you tried the software out yet (it's in a free open-beta at the moment)?

As far as offering the scanner as a stand-alone product, we're doing some tests on whether it'd be feasible or not. If things look promising, it'd retail for much less than the Makerbot Digitizer.

I see LionHead cancelled their KS project. Does anyone know why? I thought this had a ton of potential.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidabble View Post
    I see LionHead cancelled their KS project. Does anyone know why? I thought this had a ton of potential.
    Unfortunatly, they didn't reach their goal.
    They where way back from the goal they set

Thanks for the the kind thought, Solidabble. We cancelled the kickstarter for a few reasons. One was that it was clear we weren't going to make our minimal funding goal, and second, we didn't feel that the printer we had met the wants & needs of potential backers. More specifically, we wanted to improve the print quality and also provide the features such as printing in multiple materials simultaneously that our printheads uniquely afforded at the quality levels we wanted.

While we're still working on printer improvements, we've released our 3D modeling software. We also hope to have more hardware-related news in the near future.

Kevin, do you think you will still release the 3D scanner, or has plans for it totally been canceled?
    Jeremia

Hey Jeremia,

We still have plans to release our 3D printers in the future and are considering products like a stand-alone 3D scanner. We're not able to commit to a particular date at the moment, though, but we'll post more information as dates become concrete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast