Close

Banned

First True Working Metal Gun 3D Printed!

Another eye opening day here in the 3D Printing world. Reports are out about the first REAL gun 3D Printed using laser sintering, to solidify a powdered metal substance. The gun was modeled after a 1911 model with the part designs found online. The gun was printed by Solid Concept, and is 100% legal since they have a federal firearms license. They stated that the reason for printed this firearm was to show the world that they could. What is your opinion on this?

Here is a picture:
    Last edited by RedSox2013; 11-07-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Student
    I wonder if this is really the first or just the first to have a press release. I would be surprised if Gun manufacturers didn't use 3D printing in Prototyping.
    Last edited by jzatopa; 11-07-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Follow joealarson On Twitter Add joealarson on Facebook Add joealarson on Google+ Add joealarson on Shapeways Add joealarson on Thingiverse
    I don't see a spring? Does it actually work or do they need non printed parts to make it work?

I doubt they can print a "spring" and have it a spring, it would at minimum need to be heat treated. Just looking at the pictures, this would look to be aluminum, not very much better than his plastic prints. This guy makes a lot of noise, people need to ignore him, his stuff is useless, the technology he used for this piece is way to high priced to be practical. It is much cheaper to manufacture even a single gun the old fashioned way than this way.

Banned
    I agree Vanguard, but what about say in 10 years when prices will surely come way down? People could be printing out quality firearms from home. The competition in the 3D Printing market is becoming fierce, and that means one thing, major innovations are on the way

ROFLMAO

Do you Americans realise that you are the only ones who are worked up by the idea of 3D printing firearms?

The rest of the civilised world has better things to think of. Like 3D printing body parts, or body part replacements; making artworks, new objects etc. Things that will improve Mankind's life experience.

Old Man Emu

I do not know how I could agree stronger than I do with you old man emu. Stop worrying about it, stop getting excited, ignore this self promoter, look at the medical advances. People are being put back together, the space station is getting it's own printer so it can print needed parts with out having to send parts, or have an inventory. There are way to many good things going on to even bother with this loud mouth.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    Here is a video: