Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, its not like the coupler flexes very much. But if it doesn't flex, the motor shaft and the Z-Threaded_Shaft have to be ---PERFECTLY--- aligned. And you never can do that. If you put that solid metal coupler in place, when you turn the Z Axis, you will feel spots that are very difficult to turn. And that is because the threaded rod has to bend because the coupler isn't flexing.

Why would the threaded rod have to bend? My rods are operating quite well.

OME

Because the Z Motor shafts may not be --PERFECTLY-- aligned with the Z Axis threaded rods. If there is any misalignment, something has to give as the motor turns.

I'm using the standard spiral cut aluminum couplers commonly available on eBay for my i3v and they fit fine. They do sing a little, so I buried the threaded rod in the coupler so it actually contacts the motor shaft. This stopped the lovely ringing noises.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Clough42, welcome to the 3dprintboard. Thanks for all the great stuff you're posting for the i3v on Thingiverse!

You're welcome. I have mostly just been trying to solve the issues I have encountered and thought others might find them useful as well. I've been getting a lot of private questions on Thingiverse, and I've been thinking about trying to get some threads started over here so others can benefit (and contribute).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12