Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crimping vs Soldering

Which is recommended for extending wires such as motors and what not? Crimping or Soldering?

Technician
    Motors I would recommend soldering the wires. However for the hot end and I would recommend crimping.

Student
    For all machines with moving parts is criping not an option!

Printers move quite rapidly and have usually thin wires, especially at the extruder where the termistor is connected. If you have a wiring problem there the result would be a mess - hot end overheated, extruder melted and printer close to burning.

Technician
    You simply cannot solder the hot end wires. Soldering will melt again and disconnect. Crimping and then capton would work. The rest should all be soldered.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarking11 View Post
    You simply cannot solder the hot end wires. Soldering will melt again and disconnect. Crimping and then capton would work. The rest should all be soldered.
    Usually the case... But I wanted my resistor in my hot end soldered. I have my resistor leads come out 3/4" and bend upwards. That lets things cool off enough the solder will hold and make a good electrical connection.

Quote Originally Posted by ciutateivissa View Post
    Why would that be the case? Both crimping and soldering works when done right, and both can fail when done wrong. Solder itself doesn't take to well to moving about (it cracks), but it is usually not a problem if the cables are properly secured.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarking11 View Post
    All my hot end wires are soldered, thermistor or heater makes no difference. This parts working for month now and over 500 prints. As Roxy described above, the approx. 4 cm length of the heater cartridge or the thermistor are enough to ensure a propper connection.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jstck View Post
    Why would that be the case? Both crimping and soldering works when done right, and both can fail when done wrong. Solder itself doesn't take to well to moving about (it cracks), but it is usually not a problem if the cables are properly secured.
    Quoted for Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ciutateivissa View Post

Printers move quite rapidly and have usually thin wires, especially at the extruder where the termistor is connected. If you have a wiring problem there the result would be a mess - hot end overheated, extruder melted and printer close to burning.

If you have a wiring problem either way it would lead to a mess. Also I am using a delta printer, none of the wired motor connections are moving. Still stand by your point?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-X View Post
    If you have a wiring problem either way it would lead to a mess. Also I am using a delta printer, none of the wired motor connections are moving. Still stand by your point?
    After 23 years experience in preparing rallye cars, 15 years experience in electronics and mechatronics - yes I do!

And when we were using crimps (because we needed special connectors) we additionally soldered it, too.

The reason is simple: With crimping litz wires you´ll pressing them together in a certain order. At the first moment everything looks save, can´t move anything. But by the time (e.g. caused by temperature) and also with the movement the litzes beginns to move a bit and rearrange them. This can be the point where they start to get lose.

Unfortunately I had to learn this lesson on a hard way, had such failures in my rally cars which at the end costs me at least one time a win in a national championship. And in my business it costs me money...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast