Close

Question Is there food-safe resin?

Hello printers.

I've backed the Peachy on IGG to be able to print some small around-the-house-stuff, but I'd also like to create custom molds for chocolates and other, melts-at-low-temperature foods.
    So my question is: are there food-safe resins that can be used with the Peachy?
    If not, can someone suggest methods to create molds from printed objects?
    Or should I just build myself a CNC and get some wood / food-safe plastic blocks to cut out from?

Kind regards,
    blindcoder

Engineer-in-Training
    You've got lots of options here. We were talking with a chemical engineer in another thread about the toxicity of the cured resin, and he said you could wash it and boil it and do this other stuff to help get rid of some of the nasty residue. That said, I wouldn't use it for anything that I was going to eat.

So, what you can do, is print the object you would like to make a mold of, stick it in some modelling clay, surround that with legos, and pour silicone on top. That way, you will have a one part, or if you like, two part mold that is totally food safe, even heat safe. Here's a good tutorial on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_87cjGF1eJA

Regarding that tutorial: I have followed it to a T and it is a very good tutorial, but there are cheaper sources of silicone and resin than that all in one kit he shows. Send me a message if you want my supplier.

That sounds like a very good idea. I'm interested in your supplier :-)

This technique could be use to do "mass production" too.

You make one 3D Printed mold and then do many copy!

Peachy Printer Software Guru
    Make has a good article on resin casting. If you want to make many pieces, or want to use materials that can't be 3D printed, this is the best way to do it. Use your 3D printer to make a mold, then take as many casts as you like with whatever materials you want.

Engineer-in-Training
    That article is fantastic! It's so easy to make a great mold with a 3d printer, I can't wait to get mine.

http://www.aeromarineproducts.com They are local, so I can save on shipping. You can too, if you live in SoCal. They are about the same cost for resin (smooth-on smooth cast 300), which may be available to you at an art store. The price on silicon, however, is much better at aeromarine. Be aware that you need a postal scale or food scale for AM 128 Silicone.
    Last edited by Anuvin; 11-05-2013 at 02:17 PM.