Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

A Filament that cleans your Extruder - From Esun

Esun a company that builds 3D printers as well as manufactures 3D printer filament has announced the release of their new filament that is made specifically for cleaning your extruder nozzle. We all know how complicated it can be to clean those clogs and remove the gunk that is stuck inside of our extruders. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds appealing. Read more at http://3dprint.com/6042/esun-cleaning-filament/

What do you guys think? Will this stuff work? What do you think it is made from?

ToyBuidler Labs has some samples of the product that we are testing right now. It is not nylon, but is a different compound that can work over a much wider temperature range to help purge the system between different filament types. It may help in some cases when there is "overcooked" filament in the nozzle -- but if the particles are too big, you would still need to clean out the big chunks by retracting filament back out the cold-end side.

Engineer-in-Training
    Color me wary. I've not had a problem with switching between ABS, PLA and ABS/PA (nylon) materials, even though I never manage to be able to do a full "unclog" on my current nozzle.

There is a material called Asaclean that they use for industrial extruders, though I don't know what it is made of. The idea is that it doesn't stick to metal, but it bonds really well to any kind of plastic, so as it passes through the barrel, it bonds to the leftover plastic and drags it out without leaving any of itself behind on the inner surfaces of the barrel and screw. I've tried it out on my Filastruder, with pellets I found on Ebay. I don't know how much need there is for it in a printer extruder, but it might be worth a try if jamming becomes a common problem.

Student
    Add IntServo on Facebook
    INTSERVO now has free samples of Esun cleaning filament free shipping for USA users. Feel free to get one there and share your experience.

Student
    Add IntServo on Facebook
    The eSUN cleaning filament can easily be found on amazon by searching esun cleaning filament there.

The reviews there are also very helpful for new users. It is also available on our intservo.com

Last edited by IntServo; 11-12-2014 at 08:59 PM.