Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

What are your thoughts on 3D Printing Advancements?

What do you guys think about the advancements in 3D printing in the past 5-10 years? Are they more than you would have expected or do you think they could have advanced faster? 3D Printer inventor Charles Hull has said that he has been quite amazed by some of the inventions within the industry. He is especially amazed by how well 3D printing has advanced in the medical fields. Where do you see 3D printing going in the future? Will it continue to advance at the same rate? What do you think?

Regardless of the mechanics of 3D printing, I think we're only just now seeing that start of an explosion of different printing materials. As the industry continues to grow in value I'm hoping we see ever more investment into materials research and development and more cool stuff to print with.

Engineer-in-Training
    One big step will be when plastic can be shot out of a nozzle just like inkjet printing.

Staff Engineer
    @3DPBuser You mean PolyJet? It's alreaty around, but Stratasys has it very well patented and only an option for those spending upwards of $15k. Even when it becomes an option for the consumer market, it will almost certainly suffer from propriatary material cartraige costs.

It's amazing. Following Makerbot from its conception and thinking that it will be forever before I can touch one. Then Bill of Materials lists come out for RepRaps and then there is an explosions of variants. Some really come through as solid machines, Mendel to Prusa and now we are getting into different materials. It's just not stopping. The SLA machines are becoming cheaper, there is even a movement for open sourcing an SLS machine. I can't wait to see what happens and hopefully be involved in some way.

Engineer-in-Training
    Yea I forgot about Polyjet.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    Yea I forgot about Polyjet.
    Everyone who isn't in a large corporation forgets about PolyJet... For good reason.