Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Staff Engineer
    When I say resolution, I mean layer thickness. For instance, the BAAM and the Drawn Furnature printer have layer heights of close to a centimeter. But as Local Motors showed yesterday, the BAAM can print a whole car body in a day.

You can go hotter and higher torque with an extruder, but there are thermodynamic limits on just how fast you can controllably melt plastic at a given extrusion diameter.

preferred model method?

Hey guys,
    I did a forum search, didn't quite find an answer to the following question:

Is it better to have a 3D model made with a designed wall thickness and hollowed center, or is better to just design a water tight model, and have
    the slicing software (Slic3r) determine the perimeter wall thickness and infill?

(I ask, because my current model I'm printing, has a built in wall thickness to the model and it's hollow, yet I'm not getting any infill printing.)
    I'm wondering if I've done something incorrectly, and as this will be a large volume build, I'm not sure which model method is faster, better quality, less material, etc
    I'm going to be using BronzeFill (PLA base)

thanks

3DP Unlimited has taken 3D printing to the next level, literally, with the 3DP 1000, which allows you to 3D print large scale items or a number of items all at the same time. Featuring platforms that are priced at under $20K, and an enormous build area, entrepreneurs can go from conceptualizing and prototyping on a small level to a full-scale manufacturing operation in their own right—without having to search for an unrealistic amount of capital to put into a budding business. More details on some of these large prints here: http://3dprint.com/34378/3dp-unlimited-samples/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'm not against free advertising - but the 3dp 1000 has been around for a year so now - hardly news ?
    Ah - or is it 'free' adevrtising lol

Great machine - could do with a larger diameter nozzle though - say around 3-5 mm. As it doesn't actually print any faster than a normal sized desktop. Seen it in action, talked to the team - great folk.
    Something like that chair - for instance - really doesn't need to be printed at 0.3 or 0.4 mm resolution. It'd look just as good at 5mm resolution and take a couple days less to print.

Okay it's still faster than conventional manufacturing. But if you're making really large scale prinyers then you should also be offering larger nozzles and faster printing for the big stuff.

Oh yeah and if the 3dp team tell you they use beer to make stuff stick to the bed - don't believe them :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-02-2015 at 12:30 PM.

This seems like the printer best suited for my uses. Could anyone print something for me using this machine before i buy it? Would pay well :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12