Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Akemake 3D Printed Wooden Desktop Speaker

We have all heard of the wood based 3D printer filaments on the market today. One company, Akemake has taken this a step further with the help of a filament called TimberFill. They have 3D printed and assembled a working desktop speaker. The speaker casing is printed with the 100% wood filament (Timberfill). The company, has decided to make the designs for the speaker free to download, and they have also included the assembly instructions and part needed for the speaker portion.

Read more about this and see more photos at: http://3dprint.com/5188/akemake-firs...d-wood-speaker

Engineer-in-Training
    That might be a very good accoustical design, I wish they measured its performance.

Technician
    Very cool idea. Not a fan of the design.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    The design is based off of the nautilus shell and it one of the most fundamental tenants of design that has ever been conceived. I has to do with the golden rectangle and I don't know for sure but I think it may have fostered deeper thinking that led to fractals. There is beauty in simplicity when it comes to design. And there are fewer things that are as simple and as beautiful as a nautilus shell.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Reminds me of the cochlea as well. Looks better than 90% of speakers out there.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Looking like the cochlea may speak well to it's performance too. As we know, the cochlea was shaped by millions of years of evolution to function perfectly. However, I don't think the speaker housing will take advantage of the chamber unless you print a thick shell and break out all of the support material. Being full of support material it will be no better than mounting that speaker in a shallow box. Still like the design. It would look cool in a modern decorated house or office.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH2 View Post
    Looking like the cochlea may speak well to it's performance too. As we know, the cochlea was shaped by millions of years of evolution to function perfectly. However, I don't think the speaker housing will take advantage of the chamber unless you print a thick shell and break out all of the support material. Being full of support material it will be no better than mounting that speaker in a shallow box. Still like the design. It would look cool in a modern decorated house or office.
    The story says this is built in halves, so you can easily break out the support material before assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
    The story says this is built in halves, so you can easily break out the support material before assembly.
    If it is built in halves... You may not even need support material.

I just saw that someone printed one of these themselves using a non-wood filament. check it out:

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I'd like to hear one assembled. I still like the idea and design.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast