Close

Add Geoff on Thingiverse

Geoff's 3D Prints.

I thought I would just put all my prints in one thread rather than a thread for each, might be a tad messy

I began my journey into 3D printing about 6 months ago. I spent about a year researching the mass of printers on the market, came close to buying several but decided to hang off a bit until both price and quality was a bit more attractive. I was practically sold on the Makerbot 2, but the price was just a little high for the actual machine quality. The only thing really seemingly seperating it from the cheaper clones was the metal casing. I do think it's a great machine, the sturdy case means much less wobble with high speed prints, something I wish my lasercut wood printer would not do! but then again, I paid half the price.

I finally settled on a Flashforge 3D dual extruder, and like all printers it has a few teething issues but after some experimentation I see to have most of the kinks ironed out. These machines retail for around $1200, less than half of a makerbot 2. They will run Makeware and ReplicatorG just fine and as you can see from my gallery, capable of some nice prints.

I don't seem to be able to embed the imgur gallery here, so apologies for the link

http://imgur.com/a/CRmwU

I also have a couple of time lapse prints on youtube

woah... you have some really nice stuff! Cant wait to get my first printer!

Technician
    I like things you can use

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by nka View Post
    woah... you have some really nice stuff! Cant wait to get my first printer!
    Thanks, yep it's pretty fun. My only suggestion to anyone who has not bought one and is going to, is check out the price of all the spare parts for your machine before you buy it. Much of the reason I chose the printer I did was because everything in it is fairly generic and easily replaceable. Some of the printers on the market have some pretty proprietary parts - I already have been through one set of dual heads on my machine and replacing them was cheap (cost around 150, and when you consider this is probably the most important component, thats not so bad) and took about 6 minutes in total and about 3 screws to replace.