Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Add gmay3 on Thingiverse

Lightbulb Y Belt Rubbing Solutions

Hello MarkerFarmers!

1stage and I were discussing a common issue we were having where, despite our best aligning efforts during the build, we can't seem to get the Y belt to stop rubbing against the wall of the captive bearing mount in the front of the printer.

One thing I was thinking of trying is to add wedge shaped washers that I would print out and press fit over the bearings to force the belt away from the wall.

Have any of you guys been able to solve this problem?

Enjoy as I attempt to draw my idea in ASCII for great justice! :P

|==|\++/|==|
    |==|/++\|==|

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    So you've tried adjusting the tightness of the bolts holding the pulley clamps to the front plate? Adjusting the angle of the bolt with respect to the belt should affect where the belt rides. My pulley clamps were glued in place prior to assembly, so all I could do was use a round needle file to ream out the bearing bolt hole in the side opposite from where the belt tended to creep to. It's still not perfect, but it helped.

The way the belt can rub against wood is kind of rinky dink. At least on the X idler you can adjust the angle of the bearing bolt pretty easy and adjust where the belt rides. I still hope to eventually retrofit something like what you're talking about to both the X and Y idler.

I slotted the bearing mount hole and added some eye bolts to adjust tension and alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by gmay3 View Post
    Hello MarkerFarmers!

One thing I was thinking of trying is to add wedge shaped washers that I would print out and press fit over the bearings to force the belt away from the wall.

Have any of you guys been able to solve this problem?

Enjoy as I attempt to draw my idea in ASCII for great justice! :P

|==|\++/|==|
    |==|/++\|==|
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    I slotted the bearing mount hole and added some eye bolts to adjust tension and alignment.
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    So you've tried adjusting the tightness of the bolts holding the pulley clamps to the front plate? Adjusting the angle of the bolt with respect to the belt should affect where the belt rides. My pulley clamps were glued in place prior to assembly, so all I could do was use
    So I don't have a MakeFarm printer.... But it is RepRap. Can't you just print yourself an updated part and make the problem go away?

Technologist
    You might try this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:45955 I'm assuming that you have washers on either side of idler bearing and they don't move. I don't have my prusa i2 anymore but I never could get the thing tensioned and adjusted to stop the belt from rubbing against the washer which remained stationary.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Thanks for all your replies! Sadly, I'm not able to get it aligned with the parts supplied.

I think I'm going to try the pressfit print you are suggesting KDog. If that works I will update this post with my a solution process.

If a printed part press fit over the bearing doesn't work I may redesign the bearing mounting parts in place of the wood ones so they are more adjustable like you suggested beerdart.

Can you post the .STL files of the parts where the problem manifests itself? And a good picture would be helpful too. Almost for sure a small change in the source code would address the problem. And if so, you just print a new part and put it on your printer.

Technician
    Good topic gmay3, and good question, Roxy. I have a few things to print tonight, so I'll take some pictures and maybe video of the problem.

So far, there's been no fraying or damage to the Y belt, but there is a noticeable U-shaped scuff on the left wooden laser cut arm of the Y idler. I print at least four 60-90 minute jobs a week, and I built the i3v in early April 2014, so that should give you a gauge of my usage.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Can you post the .STL files of the parts where the problem manifests itself? And a good picture would be helpful too. Almost for sure a small change in the source code would address the problem. And if so, you just print a new part and put it on your printer.
    Here's a pic that shows the Y idler and how there's nothing to keep the belt from rubbing against the i3v's wooden brackets. I measure about 10.5mm spacing between brackets.. I'd like to find something like this idler pulley, but it'd have to be sized for the smaller MR125 5x12x4mm bearings used in the i3v. We don't have the vertical height needed for the larger 625 5x16x5mm bearings used by that pulley without notching the main frame panel a bit.

EDIT: Frankly, I think another flaw in the design of the i3v is the way the i3v idler is mounted to the flat side of the veneered MDF material. The slightest amount of flex in the forward plate will have a significant effect on the belt tension. I encourage those with an i3v to observe how the Y-belt sags when you press even slightly on the front of the idler plate. Whatever idler system I retrofit will likely also add a brace across the forward plate to keep it from flexing. There's a similar concern with the Y motor mount at the rear, but there the motor at least has an added brace that will provide some partial support.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by printbus; 07-08-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Hmm. The thing I'm worried about with adding a GT style (smooth or toothed) adapter to the idler is that it changes the diameter of the bearing which will cause some inaccuracy. I wouldn't have to want to tweak the firmware steps more unless necessary.

I think I'm going to design two rings and will be press fit over the bearings which will hold the belt on the left and the right side. This way the belt still rides on the bearings in the center and it will just be held in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast