Close

new to 3d printing and need help!!! better quality prints

hello, i am new to the whole world of 3d printing. i bought a printrbot jr, i use google sketchup, and i use repetier. it can do ABS and PLA as im sure you all know. i feel like the PLA has more detail, but i like being able to acetone smooth the ABS. however, i keep getting some buildup on the bottom of my prints. also, it seems like it does not print smaller details very well. and finally, i want to know how to get a nice finish on the face of my objects. when it prints the final layer, it seems to make the face really rough. and when it is "cross hatching" im not sure what the technical term is, it sounds like it is making contact with the layer underneath. can somebody please help. the picture is the buildup material that i am talking about. basically, i want to have nice, high quality prints that i can sell and wont have people look at the product and think its bad workmanship. any insight would be helpfull.
    thank you

20140601_190050[1].jpg

i want to know how to get a nice finish on the face of my objects.
    Send it out to someplace like i.materialize or Moddler or Shapeways. Seriously though, high-end finish requires high-end machines. Instead of making the models yourself, have you thought about selling them through the online stores at Shapeways or i.materialize? You wouldn't have to hassle with shipping. They do that.

Steve S

If "cross hatching" means that the nozzle head scratches across the top surface, you probably need to enable some functionality like "hopping", which lowers the print bed a little bit when the nozzle travels with no extrusion. Hope it helps.

Engineer-in-Training
    If not tried, also you could go to 0.1 mm thickness.

The width on the bottom layer is caused by that layer being smooshed down onto the heated bed. If you didn't have that you probably would experience lift or the part may detach from the bed.

You may be over-extruding a little bit. Have you calibrated your e-steps per mm? If you have, try playing with the extrusion multiplier.

Other than Shapeways and Thiverse, you can also send it out to Panoko or i.materialise. Or maybe just promote it through your social media accounts. Who knows? Maybe some of your friends might love your works!