Close

3D Printing to Replace Shipping in Future

Just got done reading an interesting article which talked about Argos' Digital Director who believe that in 10-15 years, people will purchase goods online, and then click a link to print it in their homes. This would replace the need for shipping of items, as everything will be able to be printed in the luxury of your own home, with your own 3D printer.

Here is the article:
    http://www.retail-week.com/companies...ck-and-collect

Do you guys really think this will happen? Do you think it will really take 10-15 years before we get there?

I personally see this happening in more likely 5-10 years. Afterall the first iPhone was only released about 5 1/2 years ago.

It's only a matter of time before we start seeing this. Will it ever completely replace traditional online purchases? I highly doubt it (at least not for the next 25-30 years). However, as printers get more and more advanced, we will surely see printers in our homes that can print in just about any material imaginable. When that happens, there would be no point in ordering and shipping products online, when you can just download the design and print at home.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    I can't wait to be alive for this.