Close

Plating in Chromium - What's the method?

Can someone tell me the method for plating a PLA printed object in chromium? I know it can be done, but I can't seem to figure out the steps need. Is there a precoat of some sort that is required? Must I sand my print first?

Hi FFowner, I think that chromium is part of REACH. Whatever you do, mind your health.

Staff Engineer
    You have to sand the part really well, then coat it with a conductive lacquer before plating it. Of course there are services that will do this for you for a price. Doing all the preparation work and sending it to a plater is probably the safest and most economical choice.

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D Accuracy View Post
    Good evening FFowner,

There are finishing requirements for Chrome plating plastic parts. Talk with a Chrome plating company in your area, they can help you.

Have a terrific Memorial Day!
    Robert
    3D Accuracy
    3D ACCURACY Blog / Website | Direct Digital Manufacturing / Additive Manufacturing / 3D Printing
    Shameless advertising :/ No advice offered but plenty of links and ads.
    Last edited by Geoff; 05-30-2014 at 10:46 PM.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D Accuracy View Post
    Are you a moderator/owner of this forum, or just a self-appointed forum moderator? Is it your responsibility to dictate what members of the community can and can’t do or what they can and can’t say in a post? Is it your responsibility to determine, in your personal opinion, what is or isn’t an adequate contribution in a post by any community member? I think the members of our community might want an answer to these questions.
    If you're going to stick something at the bottom of every post, it really ought to go in your signature.

Staff Engineer
    Does it really matter at all? I have several websites, and one or another might be more appropriate to a particular post. If I'm posting about 3D printed art, for instance, I might want to sign it with Juxtamorph.com. If I'm commenting about model repositories, I'd rather use 3Dscanhub.com But if I'm advising someone on which 3D modeling software to use, it would make more sense to sign it:

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

What difference does it make to anyone else whether I type it in each time or include it in my "signature"?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    What difference does it make to anyone else whether I type it in each time or include it in my "signature"?
    It allows people not interested in such advertisements to make them go away simply by disabling the display of signatures.

I'm sorry to put oil on the fire by taking part.

I thought the self promotion part of the forum was self explanatory : self promotion was dedicated to this area and was not expected elsewhere.

Perhaps I'm wrong. But I sure liked the idea.