Close

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    I used some foil ducting tape, e.g. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Ta...7792/100030120
    to cover the threads and the couplers hold fine after tightening them.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    When I was in the build, I had read that just plain foil works too. I jumped to the foil tape, figuring it would be easier to work with. The plastic tubing would likely also get you by - just with more work to install and later remove.
    Last edited by printbus; 01-14-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Engineer
    I've been using the split couplers from MakerFarm for a few months now with no problem, and no tape. I did find out that they have to be tightened down VERY tightly. When tightening the screw to clamp the split around the shaft, when you feel the screw bottom out, keep tightening it. Get it as tight as you can get it.

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    I've been using the split couplers from MakerFarm for a few months now with no problem, and no tape. I did find out that they have to be tightened down VERY tightly. When tightening the screw to clamp the split around the shaft, when you feel the screw bottom out, keep tightening it. Get it as tight as you can get it.
    I will try that, than plain foil, and if that doesn't work, will get some of the foil tape. Anyone have a link to the 5mm couplers with set screws?

Technologist
    So I cranked down on the set screws as hard as possible. Will see how that works. Started running the wires to mount the ramps, and see that Colin made some changes to the frame design for the cable routing. Doesn't have the same cut outs as in the videos.

Engineer
    Here's a link to some set-screw couplers. www.amazon.com/dp/B00M4VNAPA How did tightening your couplers work for you?

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    Here's a link to some set-screw couplers. www.amazon.com/dp/B00M4VNAPA How did tightening your couplers work for you?
    I have not gotten to test it yet. I used the couplers I have and cranked them down as hard as I could. I got all the wiring done except for the power cord, which I picked up yesterday. I ended up going with what seems to be standard lamp cord, 16gage 2 wire. I will try that and if there is issue, I will get some 14x2. The only thing that I wasn't sure of, is that the 16x2 and the 14x2 are both rated for 15 amps, not sure if that makes any difference or not. Hoping I can run the power wires tonight and do some basic power on and move stuff. Soo excited, It has been a really long journey to get this far.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by usarmyaircav View Post
    ... I ended up going with what seems to be standard lamp cord, 16gage 2 wire. I will try that and if there is issue, I will get some 14x2. The only thing that I wasn't sure of, is that the 16x2 and the 14x2 are both rated for 15 amps, not sure if that makes any difference or not.
    The difference in the 15-amp capacity of the 14 and 16 gauge wires is likely how they are rated. The 16-gauge is probably rated for a 90-degree C temperature, and the 14-gauge a lower temperature.

Technologist
    So I didn't buy enough wire to power everything up, but I had enough for the 11v and the 5v, and will need to get more for the heatbed. I hooked up my laptop and fired up pronterface and it seems like everything is working except the z access. Facing the printer the left side moves, but the right doesn't want to do anything. it looks to be trying but I am thinking something is binding so will look at that tonight.

In Pronterface if I click on the right side of the X axis, it should go right correct? If so I have the plug reversed.

The other question I have is that I noticed that I mounted the fan for the hexagon, so that it is pulling air, rather than pushing. Will that be ok, or do I need to flip it?

So encouraged to actually get this far!!!!! My time has been really limited to work on this so happy to finally get some movement!

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    In Pronterface if I click on the right side of the X axis, it should go right correct? If so I have the plug reversed.
    Mine has also done this for the entire time I've owned the printer and I have always had to press the opposite button to get it to go the right way. The important thing is to make sure that the X axis moves from right to left (towards the x endstop) when you press the home button in pronterface.

I'm guessing there might be a way to flip the X axis button direction in the pronterface options but I haven't tried this personally.

The other question I have is that I noticed that I mounted the fan for the hexagon, so that it is pulling air, rather than pushing. Will that be ok, or do I need to flip it?
    Mine pushes air but I believe I have heard other folks on here say they flipped theirs and had it working.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast