Close

AirWolf 3D AW3D HDx Printer Unveiled

Airwolf 3D has just unveiled yet another 3D printer. This one is a bit pricey at $3495, but for what you lose with price you make up for in features. The new AW3D HDx printer features a new patent pending JRx jam resistant hot end. This hot end can get to temperatures as high as 599 degrees F. This means you will be able to print with nylon and polycarbonate materials.
    More details are available here: http://3dprint.com/3795/airwolf-3d-aw3d-hdx-3d-printer/

Here are some basic specs of Airwolf's new printer along with a picture of the printer below:
    • Build envelope WxDxH: 12″X 8″X 12″
    • Build volume: 1,150 cubic inches
    • Materials: Polycarbonate, Nylon, Nylon Bridge, and close to a dozen others
    • Min. Layer thickness (mm): .06
    • Max Speed (mm/s): Perimeter 150 mm/s, Travel 400 mm/s
    • Nozzle diameter (mm): .50 + .35 (optional)
    • Software: MatterControl (custom configured), Marlin Firmware

The AW3D HDx has exceptional acceleration, speed, and print accuracy, better than that of the AW3D HD model. Just ordered a AW3D HD last month with JRX Hot end and was wondering how did you make this model faster and more accurate. You also have a finer Z rod but still written with a Z resolution of .06 mm. (layer height). Can you provide more detailed information on what has changed from HD to HDz also can these changes be made to the HD

Hi dm7864, I see no mention of heated print bed. Is it an omission or is there none ?

How goes ABS or Nylon printing in those conditions ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Their materials aren't very clear, but the photo looks like a variation of a PCB heat bed. It seems odd to not mention it.
    But I wouldn't try to print ABS without the ability to seal the enclosure. Nylon and polycarbonate are far more sensitive to uneven cooling.

Then there's the question of the frame material. If it's acrylic, I wouldn't bother with this machine. It's way too high of a price to pay for a brittle frame structure.

Quote Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
    Their materials aren't very clear, but the photo looks like a variation of a PCB heat bed. It seems odd to not mention it.
    But I wouldn't try to print ABS without the ability to seal the enclosure. Nylon and polycarbonate are far more sensitive to uneven cooling.

Then there's the question of the frame material. If it's acrylic, I wouldn't bother with this machine. It's way too high of a price to pay for a brittle frame structure.
    There is a heated bed and I have done a lot of research into my first printer and this one is build as solid as all the rest. Reviews are good and so far they have answered all my questions. I have ordered on and I will have it for the end of this month. I will post my first impressions along with my results in getting it up and running.

What a cool printer! I dig the clear enclosure.

Anyone have any experience with this printer? I'm considering buying one but would like to know how it prints, especially ABS.

Engineer-in-Training
    Being in the Los Angeles area, if you pick it up it should eliminate any shipping and breaking problems.

It would seem that ABS would need to be enclosed (for larger prints). However I think you can print PET+ without enclosing.