Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

The Discov3ry Extruder Add-on Allow you to print in dozens of new materials

Ok, this is really a groundbreaking product. A company called Structur3d Printing is planning on launching a kickstarter campaign for the Discov3ry extruder add-on. It will allow you to print in dozen of new materials, including polyurethane, latex, silicon, wood filler, clay, ceramics, sugar icings, peanut butter, nutella, Play-Doh®. It will be priced at under $350 and can be used on just about any FDM 3D printer. More details at http://3dprint.com/3636/discov3ry-extruder-add-on

Technician
    This is really great. I'll definitely be backing them on Kickstarter. I'd be interested to see exactly how this thing works. Does it ONLY take paste, or can it take other materials too?

Technologist
    Seems that it mounts to the existing hotend. If this could be made to work in conjunction as a dual extruder then it would be fantastic for supports!

Staff Engineer
    Paste extruders are nothing new, but if it's a good build quality and somehow easily installs in the same space footprint as a filament extruder I'd be excited. That said, I notice in this and other articles that they never really show more than the tip of this extruder. It's one of those little details that dampens my enthusiasm.

Paste extruders have been pretty poor in the past. So if this really lives up to its expectations then, I will definitely be backing this one.

Here is a photo from Makerfaire where Structur3d printing showed off their Discov3ry extruder by printing in Nutella

Did anyone get to see this in person at MakerFaire? I'm really excited about what this will bring to 3D printing. So many more options to choose from, as far as materials go. i'm most excited about the silicon and latex. These materials are so affordable.

Staff Engineer
    What I would love to see is a two or even three head paste extruder that can handle ceramic. Having a head for high-strength glass clay, one for high-temp silicone, and one for water based plaster (wash away support). You could print a whole machine with live hinges for much less cost than a similar FFF machine (though you'd need to fire it in a kiln before washing off the support).

Hi,

John here from Structur3D, really happy to see the interest and enthusiasm!

To Feign, re: ceramics: we've worked with ceramic to some extent, though we haven't had much opportunity to fine tune it. We've been busy working on the product, to the point that we don't get to test it out with all the materials we would like to, but then, that's why we're keeping it affordable, and hoping to get it into maker's hands to work with ASAP.

As far as multi heads, we've chosen to focus on the extruder tech for the time being, but I'd be interested in learning more about what you're intending, and the materials you're talking about. As you mentioned, one thing we're particularly keen on is wash away supports and molding.

Cheers,
    John
    john@structur3dprinting.com

They just launched their Kickstarter project this evening. Here is a link to an article detailing it all: http://3dprint.com/5652/discov3ry-3d-printer-extruder/