Close

Thread: 1st 3D printer

1st 3D printer

I've been doing my research and I have narrowed my search down to a few units. This will be my first printer that I will be using primarily for fixing odd stuff around the house, handicap accessible stuff like small wheel ramps, AFO's, and easy to replace parts. I understand that no matter what I end up with I will need to spend an additional 2-4 hundred more in upgrades and spares parts. I am mechanically and electrically inclined and have no problems with a DIY kit. I've been looking into the TEVO tornado, black widow, Folger FT-5 R2, and the tronxy X5S is low on the list. I'm trying to keep the budget under 1000 for the printer and upgrades not to include filament. Any suggestions or other printers I may have overlooked?

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I have a couple of Hictop Aluminum frame 3D Printers so I will throw Hictop into the Mix for a 300 X 300 X 400 Print area 3D Printer.

https://www.hic3dprinter.com/collections/3d-printers

I considered the CR-10 but the time for the bed to heat up and the fan noise from the control box make the tornado look like a better option in my opinion.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajones View Post
    I considered the CR-10 but the time for the bed to heat up and the fan noise from the control box make the tornado look like a better option in my opinion.
    Then it appears you have made your choice.

Happy 3D Printing!

p.s. remember Fusion 360 is FREE to hobbyists.

Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 07-22-2018 at 06:25 AM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajones View Post
    So you are choosing against a printer because of a fan and because of a weak power supply? This is not how we should be selecting a printer. We should be looking at the frame. It's size and it's rigidity. All other considerations are a parts change. And most change parts as they try to dial their printers in and make them print better and higher temp filaments. The reason the cr-10 has this heating issue is because it runs a 12v power supply If you want a printer with a large heated bed then you need to be looking for a 24v machine. OR buy the cr-10 and buy a 24v power supply. The fan is a fan. These are easily changed parts. But I think the truth is there is no all around great machine out there. Surely not in the reasonably priced range. And all are a collection of the cheapest parts available to keep the profit up. Does that make a lot of sense or what? So in the end you should really just choose your printer based off of it's frame and see everything else as the pile of lego's they are. easily interchangeable.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    And whatever you do, from the time you make a choice you need to go find a facebook group for that printer and join the community. This resource will pay dividends the entire time you own your machine. It is a big red 'EASY' button for any problems you will run into with your new machine. And Good Luck.