Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

The 'Ultimate Filament Colorer'

This is a very clever design by a man named Mat Beebe. He basically created a filament colorer using a single Sharpie marker. It runs the filament through the marker body and ink cartridge, before entering the extruder. It really works surprisingly well. There are 32 different colors of Sharpie markers, so this could be a big help for those that want to print in multiple colors but don't want to buy 30 rolls of filament. Read more and check out the video of this in action at http://3dprint.com/3340/ulimate-filament-colorer/

Brilliant.

Nice, You wouldnt think something simple like this would actualy work,
    Tho i do presume that it must be neutral, and probably wont work on black, or atleast not that great.

I wonder how long a Sharpie lasts? I would like to see the other end of the Sharpie where he drilled a hole in it!

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I wonder how long a Sharpie lasts? I would like to see the other end of the Sharpie where he drilled a hole in it!
    I had the same thought... it would probably be a one time use thing.

If you're really looking for that particular color for a print, not a bad idea, considering the quality looks pretty good, but I imagine it's going to create a mess.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    Actually I updated the article. He said he didn't run out of a Sharpie yet, but he estimates that it would last for 2KG of filament. Quite a large amount. He also said that he simply tapes off the end after he is done.

I've been looking at my extuder. I think I can make a holder / guide to hold the Sharpie. It would sit right on top of where the filament disappears into the extruder (just before the filament gets to the hobbled bolt). And it would stay self-aligned because the filament would only let it wiggle so much at that point. If I do the holder / guide right the Sharpie should be able to wiggle back and forth as the extruder moves back and forth! I might be buying more White filament if this works out! Pictures coming soon!

I think it´s great, and very easy to apply.
    Made with a Replicator 2, Natural PLA

Thank You
    IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0020.jpgIMG_0023.jpg

OK... I've got a Sharpie holder designed and printed up. I had both real Sharpies and knock off Sharpies. The knock offs have slightly bigger tips so I designed it so it can work with either.

I guess its time to load some White filament!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Roxy; 05-08-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Pictures

Here is a link to it on thingiverse with more pictures!
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:312327

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast