Close

if one needs afforidable 3d printing in the US where does one go? hobbyist

I'm a hobbyist looking for 3d printer services that aren't going to break the bank but offer parts hard enough they won't break.

Staff Engineer
    Consider to search for maker spaces in your area. It's almost a given that a makerspace will have at least one 3D printer. Some makerspaces are not public operations but have open houses. Some libraries are also jumping on the makerspace bandwagon. If you come up empty in the above options, a "seeking" type post to Craigslist may also help. I have an open search on my local craigslist for anything with 3d printer in the post, just to see the activity. If someone posted that they wanted a part printed, I'd likely be able to provide a much lower price than an online service, as I'm not in the activity for profit.

Your requirement of parts that won't break is rather tricky and somewhat ambiguous. I've printed a number of ABS items that are quite strong due to the design and flexibility of ABS, but I would not call them unbreakable. Some designs don't lend well to 3D printing, others work great in almost any material.

More details would be a bonus.