Close

What can I do to get neater prints? (Photos now updated and working)

I'm using a Makerbot Replicator 2. I have several, and several years experience printing. The printers have no upgrades, are all identical, and my filament is Makerbot branded PLA and I use Makerbot Print or Makerbot Desktop (on different computers).

The problems with the prints are consistent across each of the (3+) different printers.

I originally wanted to print these parts to make cast molds from, but am surprised by the quality of the plastic of the print, and would now like to clean up the print and use actual prints as parts (just in a different color). They are truck rims that fit small realistic tires, and the file I have to print is nearly perfect, except:

1) it seems something is wrong, you can see the small circle that was made in the software to create the hole, but it seems there's gaps around that inserted shape. Is this from the printer/filament, or is this a problem with the file? How can I fix it?

2) The whole thing prints with an amazingly perfect surface (for what I need) but the underside of the top and edges have curly stray strands. I know supports are the normal solution for this, but when I tried supports they made even more of a mess (overall) to the finish of the print, and the "overhang" is very little, so if there is ANY alternative to supports I can try, I'd want to try them.

3) On round edges, many times the "print" goes in a straight line and cuts corners. You can see an example of this in the last photo, but it's not the best example. Most cases have many of these straight lines where they are supposed to be following rounded corners.

For all three problems I've experimented with smaller print layers, I increased and decreased the temperature for different prints, slowed the print speed, and even went into the old Makerbot Desktop thing I had on an old computer and selected the "high quality" settings. In all cases the expected changes and smoother prints came out, but with the same gap around inserted shapes and under the overhangs.

I've also tried supports for the overhangs, but they ruin the surface smoothness and create more imperfections than they solve. I'd have the perfect printed part if I could clean up those squirlies on the underside of the edges, if anyone has any suggestions what I can do to fix them, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Also, I don't mind spending money, time, or effort if there's a solution. I don't mind printing slower, using more filament, whatever the downside, in most cases it won't matter to me.

I'm adding some photos so you can see what my part is, and the problem in the print that I'm having.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited by Sloyfa; 11-21-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Technologist
    Photos not showing. Do not use Photobucket. That changed the terms. I just upload directly. Or use imgur.com They let you link you photos.

You were right! I've used Photobucket for YEARS for the purpose of photos in forums (for questions like this) and can't believe they want at least a $50 payment up front to be half what they used to be...

I took your suggestion and tried it with imgur now and think I figured out the embed links... hopefully this helps. Thanks for letting me know, I could see the photos on my computer, but once I refreshed I could see what you meant. If you didn't say anything, I'd have never known why people didn't respond. Thanks again mjf55!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    So what slicer are you using ?

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    So what slicer are you using ?
    And what are the settings used to slice.

P.S. Pictures showing fine now.

This file is something I had someone design for me, and then I put it right into my Makerbot Print app. I've used Makerbot Print for everything I've printed in the last 3 years, with great results, and so I was surprised that I couldn't eliminate these issues by adjusting the print quality, layer size, heat (both increasing and decreasing), and speed. I even went to an old computer and used the old version of Makerbot Desktop with all the settings that I'm used to there, too, including the "high quality" print setting.

I have 12 of these wheels printed now, all using different settings and printers, and while they each vary a little they all have the problems you see in the photo. That's why I'm wondering if there is something about the file it'self that I should change.

Is there a way I can "clean up" or "neaten up" the print file myself with a software? So I can do this in the future, when I need to?

I have Netfabb free, and Simplify3D. I'm a novice at both, but glad to learn things that I'll use in the future.
    Last edited by Sloyfa; 11-22-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    can you post the stl so i can have a look at it ?

makerbot usually produces decent prints.

I suppose you could try using supports.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    can you post the stl so i can have a look at it ?

makerbot usually produces decent prints.

I suppose you could try using supports.
    I sent you a direct message, Aardvark. As for supports, I've tried those, but the imperfections to the final print leave more of a mess than the mess I'm trying to clean up in those photos.