Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

Kodak Portrait 3D Printer

Just wondering any thoughts on Kodak's 3D printer announced?

I have paid the money to purchase one. I have several other 3D printers, but the specs on this one sounded especially good. The terms are I can get a refund anytime until its shipped. Even after its shipped I have 30 days to decide if I keep it. On negatives, Kodak is not making this printer, and Kodak financially is on a bit shaky ground.
    But, this printer seems to offer what no other printer does in its price range.
    It has a metal enclosed frame, dual extruders, auto bed leveling and "calibration," and a Hepa filter. And the ability to run many kinds of filament, and filament monitoring.

If something happens, and its never delivered, my credit card company is good about getting a refund.
    I've looked at other high-end $3000 printers that don't have all these features. Ultimaker 2, Makerbot +, not close.

Maybe worrisome is that some of the specs are light, like max. extruder temp, bed temp, etc. and the fact that this printer has never been reviewed, but this certainly isn't worse than Kickstarter. Also I sent a question to Kodak and never received a reply.

Anyone else buy one? Thinking about it?
    Last edited by ano; 11-18-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Seen these st the tct show. It's just a replicator clone, but no heated bed. They even sell single use print on sticky paper. You be better off with a qidi or monoprice equivalent.
    Unless this is something new they did not have in september.

Ah okay, totally new. Spec looks pretty good, price is quite high, but if the software works, might be worth it. using the second extruder to continue if the other runs out if filament, is a great idea. Hardware looks good, arm32 bit bOard AND r-pi 3, fairly impressive.
    Might be worth seeing what the actual manufacturers charge.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-18-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Seen these st the tct show. It's just a replicator clone, but no heated bed. They even sell single use print on sticky paper. You be better off with a qidi or monoprice equivalent.
    Unless this is something new they did not have in september.

Ah okay, totally new. Spec looks pretty good, price is quite high, but if the software works, might be worth it. using the second extruder to continue if the other runs out if filament, is a great idea. Hardware looks good, arm32 bit bOard AND r-pi 3, fairly impressive.
    Might be worth seeing what the actual manufacturers charge.
    Not only heated bed but they claim it will work from everything from TPU to Nylon. Also has a camera, removable extruders, etc. If you know anything that is even close for the price, I haven't found it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    as long as you can get it at the discounted price.
    the final retail price is way too high.
    There are plenty of better printers in the $3000 price range. AT the pricepoint - as long as you ignore makerbot and ultimaker - you're getting into the light industrial zone, and some amazing machines in that price range.

All enclosed printers will print nylon, abs etc.

And pretty much all current printers will also print flexibles.

But for the $1800 ish price it's a decent buy.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    as long as you can get it at the discounted price.
    the final retail price is way too high.
    There are plenty of better printers in the $3000 price range. AT the pricepoint - as long as you ignore makerbot and ultimaker - you're getting into the light industrial zone, and some amazing machines in that price range.

All enclosed printers will print nylon, abs etc.

And pretty much all current printers will also print flexibles.

But for the $1800 ish price it's a decent buy.
    OK Enclosed metal frame, dual extruder (easily removable), heated removable bed, uses any filament, color touchscreen, camera, auto bed leveling, wifi, and filament sensors.
    Please list some other under $3000 3d printers with these features. I haven't found many, if any.

If you give up the enclosed frame, then a few are available, but I'd really like the enclosed frame, for sound, smell, and because in AZ the AC is almost always going which is not great for ABS, so an enclosure is mandatory. I also thought it would be easy to find this, but it really hasn't been, at least in an "industrial" type design.
    Last edited by ano; 11-19-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by ano View Post
    OK Enclosed metal frame, dual extruder (easily removable), heated removable bed, uses any filament, color touchscreen, camera, auto bed leveling, wifi, and filament sensors.
    Please list some other under $3000 3d printers with these features. I haven't found many, if any.

If you give up the enclosed frame, then a few are available, but I'd really like the enclosed frame, for sound, smell, and because in AZ the AC is almost always going which is not great for ABS, so an enclosure is mandatory. I also thought it would be easy to find this, but it really hasn't been, at least in an "industrial" type design.

The printer has a lot of nice things going for it... solid steel frame, E3D extruder and hotends/nozzles, auto-levelling, fully enclosed with air filtration system, transparent so it's easy to see what it doing (like in classrooms), and what I like best, the airtight cartridges to hold the filament spools (at least if you use their filament, although it can use other filaments from any brand too, it says), so that they don't absorb humidity. Given that it's a dual extruder printer meant for using PVA, this seems to be a key feature! I don't know if it's overpriced, but I don't see many other printers at 3k that are better either.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by kikailabs View Post
    The printer has a lot of nice things going for it... solid steel frame, E3D extruder and hotends/nozzles, auto-levelling, fully enclosed with air filtration system, transparent so it's easy to see what it doing (like in classrooms), and what I like best, the airtight cartridges to hold the filament spools (at least if you use their filament, although it can use other filaments from any brand too, it says), so that they don't absorb humidity. Given that it's a dual extruder printer meant for using PVA, this seems to be a key feature! I don't know if it's overpriced, but I don't see many other printers at 3k that are better either.
    Kodak has announced a variety of filaments that presumably work with the printer. These include PLA, ABS, FLEX 98, Nylon 6 & 12, and HIPS, which is a good range. Its not noted, but this likely means the extrude goes to at least 260C.

The real complex part that I'm hoping this printer can solve is every material not only has a set build plate and extruder temperature, but also an ideal Z-height, fan speeds and build speeds. Hopefully this printer can learn these for various materials, which would be fantastic.

The special price (a 35% discount) is only good til they sell 500, and they are saying less than 100 less.

What filament diameter do they support? I see no mention of this on their website.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by ir_fuel View Post
    What filament diameter do they support? I see no mention of this on their website.
    I'm pretty sure this printer uses 1.75mm but Kodak plans to sell filament as well and they will have both 1.75mm and 2.85mm

I agree that the details of this printer are really light. I've written them to ask the max. hot-end and bed temps, but I haven't heard back.
    Last edited by ano; 12-29-2017 at 04:32 PM.

It's a bit silly pre-ordering this thing if you know nothing about its specs, especially given the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast