Close

Technician

Video of new X One problem

Stuttering, grinding, vibrating in the X-axis... So, I tested the stepper motor cable and it showed good continuity on all 4 wires. So maybe the motor is fried? I dunno... I am also posting this to Qidi support. What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/NYpAs5B3ag8

Technologist
    Try removing the belt from the stepper motor and see if the print head moves smoothly and quietly. Use the belt to move it ( i.e.pull the belt ).
    If it moves nicely, can you swap a stepper motor out?

Technician
    Qidi confirmed that it was the stepper motor cable and sent me a link to purchase. But I just got the repraps from Amazon and spliced on the Qidi motherboard end connector from the old bad cable and my X One is back in business. The reprap cable motor end was the same as Qidi cable so that made it a little easier. But what a PITA. 2 intermittent cable failures (other one was a limit cable) in maybe 3 months of use. I am getting where I can't recommend Qidi printers anymore unless/until they figure out a way to make their cables hold up better. As it is this thing needs way too much maintenance.

Technician
    Just a tip for other folks with this printer... I am trying something to ease the stress on the x-axis cables, both of which have failed on my 3 month old machine. The last top cable clamp towards the rear is the problem, IMO. It creates a severe angle and the cables repeatedly bend sharply in the same spot. So I dressed the cables leaving that clamp off. Now the cables furl and unfurl over a larger radius instead of bending in one spot. We'll see how this goes.

Red circle in photo shows the case stud for the cable clamp I left off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raylo32; 10-21-2017 at 09:06 AM.