Close

Frustrated Father Looking For Tech Help

My boys are very into tech, programming, etc. I was able to score a decent deal on woot for a m3d micro. (I know...low end....I work 3 jobs, and have 3 kids....it is what it is)
    Since I picked it up, they have been happily printing various items and having a blast. Enter the dilemma....
    They are trying to print a replica of the ghost from destiny (link to file). They have successfully printed this one part 11 times. However, when they try to print it now, we get failure after failure. I cannot tell what has changed. We have not changed the file that we're using. We have not changed the filament. We have not moved the printer in any way. For some reason, somewhere around 50% it becomes a string of noodles.
    I am hoping someone here can shed some light on why this is happening. I am at an utter and complete loss.

Attachment 11137Attachment 11138

Technologist
    please try to attach the file again. it did not work correctly the first time. Do one file upload at a time.

really need a better description of the issue. I assume that the attachments will help

EDIT: which specific part are you printing when it fails?, as the link contains multiple files

Quote Originally Posted by mjf55 View Post
    please try to attach the file again. it did not work correctly the first time. Do one file upload at a time.

really need a better description of the issue. I assume that the attachments will help

EDIT: which specific part are you printing when it fails?, as the link contains multiple files
    Here is one of the pictures. Not sure why it didn't work
    22553742_1620940204630630_360922467_o.jpg

22553808_1620939941297323_1809762292_o.jpgHere is the other picture. Not sure if either is of any help. I am trying to do the wing insert file. I just can't understand what went wrong all of a sudden, when we printed 11 in a row without problem.

Technologist
    To be honest, I have no idea how you managed to print even 1 of these wing inserts if all you did was add a raft, unless you rotated it.. The point is very small, and the vertical part that does not touch the bed, would just create a mess. You cannot start printing part mid air, as that part tries to. Lay the part down, No raft would be required. I suspect that would work fine.
    If you can post a picture of an already built (successful) part, that will show which way the layers are put down, as we may be able to see how it was done.

To be honest, I have no idea how you managed to print even 1 of these wing inserts if all you did was add a raft, unless you rotated it.. The point is very small, and the vertical part that does not touch the bed, would just create a mess. You cannot start printing part mid air, as that part tries to. Lay the part down, No raft would be required. I suspect that would work fine.
    If you can post a picture of an already built (successful) part, that will show which way the layers are put down, as we may be able to see how it was done.
    Yes, I know it did say not to use support, but I ran into that same issue....You can't print mid-air. I did support material, raft and skirt. I always verify bed level because it's recommended :-)
    Here is a pic of the last successful print, along with the support that prints under the floating side. Thank you for trouble shooting this with me! I am afraid to try and print anything else, beyond that I need that last one to print.
    22556205_1621883494536301_1673103951_o.jpg

Technologist
    Crazy. I am surprised that it printed. Again, give it a try laying down just like the last photo. Do you know how to rotate it in the slicer?

1st....You are AWESOME! Thanks for trouble shooting, again!
    2nd, I added model on model support and it printed this time...phew...
    I don't know if I have a slicer program. I know my one son uses tinkercad and my other has freecad. Are those slicers?
    I am really interested in all this, but with 3 boys and 3 jobs I am far behind on the learning curve and time. lol

Technologist
    i am glad it worked for you. A slicer program is the program that takes it from say tinkercad or the stl from thingiverse and converts it to the gcode. Its the program that you use to send it to the printer. Common slicers are Curs, Slic3r, Simplify3D.

Good luck. Have the kids teach you in your 3 or 4 minutes of free time ;-)