Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Member - Forum Technical Difficulties?

Hi,

I'm wondering if the forum is having technical difficulties? I made two posts yesterday but I can not see them. Poof, gone.

Also, my questions and comments will be related specifically to 3d resin printing from a DIY perspective. Is there a more appropriate sub form I should be posting in instead of "General 3D Printing Discussion"? Is 3dprintboard.com the place for me, or is there a more appropriate forum somewhere online I should be using for this?

Thank you everyone for your help.

Let's see if I can post today or not? Fingers crossed, here goes!

OK, so that one worked. Anyone have any idea where my two posts from yesterday went?

Staff Engineer
    Are you planning to build your own resin printer? SLA or DLP?

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Are you planning to build your own resin printer? SLA or DLP?
    Thanks for the reply. I recognize you from another forum. Nice to see a familiar face so to speak. I didn't realize you were into 3d printers.

A top down DIY resin printer, yes.

90% probability it will be projector based. But, not certain about what tech to use, as far as DLP or 3LCD projectors. I made a post about this yesterday in regards to some 3LCD projector mods I'm contemplating and asking for advice . I'll have to make a new thread and repost.

It won't be a bottom up LCD screen build.

10% chance of trying something unconventional, like the head of a laser printer (the ones used for paper) repurposed with a different laser (perhaps from a Blu Ray?) and driven in one axis, with the single axis galvanometer from the laser printer taking care of the second axis. No idea if anyone has done this. Also made a post about this yesterday . But here it is again, LOL. No idea how I would control this or if the idea has merit...any ideas?

Ever tried one of those cheap digital light display laser / galvanometer systems you can get on EBay?

If neither one of those ideas have been done successfully before, then yes, a projector. I hesitate to say "DLP" for certain because I may try a different projector mod.

Should I keep posting in the "General 3d printing discussion" for new threads, I don't see a stereolithography section?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    weird that. Both your posts yesterday were awaiting moderation.
    Which is odd as they weren't your first posts and there weren't any links in them.
    Approved them both. Hopefully you won't have any more problems.

Your laser idea sounds a lot like the sadly defunct Peachy printer.
    have a look through this section: http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...-Printer-Forum

And you might want to have a chat with Builder1 as well.

General is as good as anywhere else. Not sure if I can start new forum sections or not - w could do with a stereolithography section. As resin prices come down more people will start to opt for resin over fdm.
    Nope doesn't look like i can add new sections. And as eddie and his brother seem to have gone awol - no idea who can.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-14-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    weird that. Both your posts yesterday were awaiting moderation.
    Which is odd as they weren't your first posts and there weren't any links in them.
    Approved them both. Hopefully you won't have any more problems.
    Am I allowed to post links here?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Your laser idea sounds a lot like the sadly defunct Peachy printer.
    have a look through this section: http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay.php?14-Peachy-Printer-Forum
    Holy Cow, that's some drama there.

I'd prefer to spend a more money and have something better. After spending a hour last night going through the drama videos, today I did find some of the actual printer. It seems to me that the water drip is too low budget for me. I'd prefer to use a stepper motor.

The galvanometer they used, super low budget also. Makes me wonder though, if any of the light show galvanometers on EBay could be used. They aren't that expensive and I couldn't see them being worse than the peachy one, which appears to have worked, although I never did find a real time or time lapse video.

Really, my idea was to hack a laser printer, which normally prints onto a spinning drum, so the galvanometer only does one axis. This would need to be driven in the second axis, either with screws or belts. A wiper would be easy to add to the front of this assembly. The electronics of how to hack this and control it with print software is where I am weak.

Sorry for the need to edit this.
    Last edited by Don McLean; 10-15-2017 at 01:36 PM.

wow you are one uptight canuck.
    Builder1 has modified the beta peachy and got it working, also done a lot of updating and improving the hardware. Which you'd have known if you weren't so impatient and short tempered :-)

My advice grab some timmys and a brew and chill out.

[QUOTEI have noticed a big change from the CNC router world compared to this one in the past couple days. This world is far more closed lipped, far more money grubbing, far more uncooperative, while at the same time pretending to be more cooperative.][/QUOTE]

Given that your questions have been answered as well as the people around could, what exactly are you expecting ?
    Not many people build their own sla machines, it's expensive and resin is ridiculously priced. There are also fewer resources around.
    Just because nobody offered to come to your house and build you a machine, while paying you for the privilege. Does not make us uncooperative, tight lipped or pretending to be other than we are.

Nobody round here needs to prove anything to you.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-15-2017 at 09:05 AM.

You're right mate. Thanks for not banning me. That was a 6 beer post.

I just got a bit torqued when I started watching the Youtube videos about Peachy and by Peachy. LOL. Ouch. And then I took it out on you and the forum. Not your fault, you've been quite hospitable. I have a strange sense of humor, that comes out wrong sometimes. There's no need to take me or anything I say too seriously.

A projector is a simple way to go about this, but I'll definitely look into your suggestion. A larger print area with good resolution are the reasons I want to look into alternatives.

Also, I'm very sorry for the way that came off. Would it bother you if I make a couple edits / deletions from my post?

carry on :-)
    Computers really should come with a breathalyser lock :-)

Also bear in mind that cnc has been around for a long time and has a much much larger user base.
    Home 3d printing has really only been around for a few years. So not that many of us around.

As far as kickstarter disasters go - the peachy was pretty tame.
    I back one called a makibox about 4 years ago. My First and last crowdfunding endeavour.
    Upshot was, makiboxes were made and some were even shipped, but then the company went under - my makibox and a bunch of filament was in a container, in hong kong ready to ship.
    Ended up being sold to service debts and the printer I had paid for, eventually ended up in the uk being sold by a third party to someone else.
    The company going under didn't bother me that much, it happens. But my actual paid for machine being shipped to the uk and sold to someone else - that pissed me off.

So yeah as far as crowd funded 3d printers go. Don't buy it untill it's an actual commercial product being sold on amazon :-)
    It turns out that engineers and designers are really really crap at budgeting and the business side of a business.

Back to the original subject.
    There was a thread a short while ago it was either an opensource printer or a kit where you added your own projector.
    Would be worth a look.
    Found it - have a look at this: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.php?30796-TriceraDLP-New-DIY-Resin-3D-Printer&highlight=projectors

Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-15-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast