Close

Help addressing print issues with abs on davinci 1.0

First off I would like to say Hi to everyone. I started an account today hoping I could get some help. I'm printing a skull from thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1564203
    I have repetier firmware on my davinci and have attached screenshots of my settings. In the picture of the skull as it prints higher the print quality decreases and looks horrible. Around the teeth it gets really bumpy and not as shinny as the bottom half. I'm not sure where to start to correct this. I'm using hatchbox 1.75mm filament. I have had this printer for a few years. I got great print quality out of it before my hdd crashed and I lost my settings. I have always used hatchbox since modifying the printer to run repetier firmware. So far I have leveled the bed manually and checked all of the axis. I adjusted them as necessary and ran calibration tests with a 100mm square to check for accuracy. There is some clumps and burnt plastic inside of the mouth. You can see this in the attached images. Please let me know if you need any other information.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Student
    Hi jm_middleton.

I too am new here.

Ok, i cannot read your settings at all, as the pictures are just too small.

But have you tried
    Reducing outerwall print speed
    Reducing print temperature by a few degrees?

It could be just that it is printing too fast and too hot.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    abs presumably.
    And yeah, settings screens need to be larger.

have you got active cooling on your print area ?

Just looks like it's printing too fast to me.

I used the snipping tool to get some screen shots of my settings. They may still be too small. Yes I'm using abs. I don't have any active cooling. I was unsure if it was too hot or too cold. I increased the bed temp to 110 and the hot end to 230. I'm getting better prints than I was but I'm still not happy with it. As the layers get farther away from the bed the quality gets worse. The quality is the worst above supports. I'll upload another pic of the skull in just a minute. you can see the varying degrees of print quality.

filament.jpglayers.jpgspeed.jpg

Here is a dropbox link to my settings and the pic of the skull I have been printing.