Close

Technician

Customize a printer profile in S3D?

I recently bought a Klic N Print 3D dual extruder machine and Simplify3D does not have a specific profile for it. So I have been using the Makerbot 2X profile and it prints well, but the build table dimensions and some other things are off. For instance, it lays down the initial nozzle clearing lead out bead about 20mm into the build table and not on the edge. Since the MB2X profile is center origin I can print plenty of stuff but if I want to print near the edge I have to quick and remove the lead out bead before the head goes out there for the print.

Also, the KnP spec says x-y build area is 150 x 150mm but the actual build table is 225 x 150 and the x and y axis sliders and such have plenty of range to reach all of it... and maybe more since I have a glass table that overlaps the build table by 25 mm or so.

So is there a way to specify build table x-y dimensions in S3D and save that as a custom profile? And/or are there firmware (it has sailfish) settings that need to be tweaked or re-flashed?

I have one more thing to try in terms of trying a S3D profile for an existing compatible printer, the FlashForge Creator dual. It seems to have a build table that is very close to the dimensions of the KnP. Gonna try that tonight.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    use replicator dual - not x2.
    Different machines.
    And all you need to do is just change the bed dimensions and save the profile.
    All on the Gcode tab.

Technician
    I don't recall seeing Replicator Dual as being a choice. I think I saw a Replicator 2, but that might just be generation 2, single extruder. But I am not at my S3D workstation so will check later. Ahhh, the gcode tab for sizing the table. Thanks.

Technician
    OK, I see the Replicator 1 Dual and that works. It still puts the lead out bead in the wrong place into the print zone (??) but at least has the table size equal to my machine. I was able to move the lead out bead by modifying the startup gcode by increasing the y axis location. I also tried specifying a print area beyond the OEM table size in the gcode to print past the table edge onto the glass that extends about 15mm on each side... and it didn't work. Print still stopped at the y-xis position of the OEM table edge. Hmmm... Need to try that some more. Only reason I care is I have one piece I'd like to print that is just a tad over and it won't work for its purpose if undersized.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    bear in mind the machine's endstops are configured for the table size. To get a larger build you'd most likely need to move the end stops as they are the physical side that tells the printer where the edge of the table is.
    Rather you than me :-)