Close



Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Lube bearings?

  1. #1

    Lube bearings?

    I have some silicone oil and lithium grease ,which should I use if any on the bearings and threaded rods?

  2. #2
    Staff Engineer Davo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,024
    Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    What does the bearing manufacturer recommend? Mine recommends a drop of WD-40 every 20,000 km.

  3. #3
    Engineer-in-Training
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    What does the bearing manufacturer recommend? Mine recommends a drop of WD-40 every 20,000 km.
    Really? WD-40 is not a lubricant at all--in fact it's the opposite in that it will break down and remove whatever lubricant is present.

    WD-40 was designed as a water repellent and rust inhibitor.

  4. #4
    Technologist Roberts_Clif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    142
    Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by mcc1961 View Post
    I have some silicone oil and lithium grease ,which should I use if any on the bearings and threaded rods?
    Silicone Oil, lithium grease is to thick and inhibits smooth rod bearings from making micromillimeter movements.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 09-25-2017 at 10:13 AM.

  5. #5
    Staff Engineer Davo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,024
    Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Good catch. Let me clarify. Our bearing manufacturers recommend to check to see if lubrication is needed every 20,000 km. My CTO recommends WD-40 for this purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    Really? WD-40 is not a lubricant at all--in fact it's the opposite in that it will break down and remove whatever lubricant is present.

    WD-40 was designed as a water repellent and rust inhibitor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •