Close

Question Please help me fine-tune my prints

Hi!

I have setup my first 3D printer. The TEVO Black Widow.

The frame was solidified using cast brackets and printed extra corner supports.
    Bed was leveled and working BLTouch was setup

The three prints are done with the same settings in Cura 2.7.0. The only difference is the small 10mm die was printed with 0.1 layers

Please help me fine tune my prints as I am not longer sure if it is mechanical or my settings that cause all the small issues you can see.

ThanksCube.jpgIMG_20170911_133115.jpgIMG_20170911_133154.jpgIMG_20170911_133131.jpg

Forgot to mention:
    stock extruder used in a bowden setup
    esteps calibration done
    extruder is within 1mm on a 100mm extrude

https://youtu.be/gd3qP5flRhg
    Last edited by iggut; 09-11-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    print speed ?
    filament type ?
    temperatures ?

To me that looks like abs printed in an unenclosed printer too fast.

If pla then also printed too fast and without a layer cooling fan.

But the bridging you've got on those is impressive.

Too many people seem to instantly leap to the conclusion that there's soemthing wrong with the printer, when most often it's simple stuff like print temps and speed that is the issue.

How big are those cubes ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    print speed ?
    filament type ?
    temperatures ?

To me that looks like abs printed in an unenclosed printer too fast.

If pla then also printed too fast and without a layer cooling fan.

But the bridging you've got on those is impressive.

Too many people seem to instantly leap to the conclusion that there's soemthing wrong with the printer, when most often it's simple stuff like print temps and speed that is the issue.

How big are those cubes ?
    This is PLA at 205 deg
    40mm/s print speed
    Infill speed at 60mm/s
    Wall print speed at 25mm/s

jerk settings for z and y : 8
    acceleration: 800

Cube sizes:

Small Die (rounded edges): 10mm square
    XYZ Calibration Cube: 20mm square
    Big Hollow Die (square corners): 30mm square

got a print area cooling fan ? And was it on.

For something that small either print two together or have good cooling.
    What slicer are you using ?
    Boosting the retraction wouldn't hurt either.
    I'm retract whenever it's possible to do so.
    For a bowden setup you want something around 2-3mm at 60-80 mm/s .

Another thing that helps to avoid stringing is to tell it to: Avoid crossing outline when travelling.
    It cuts down drastically on the spiderwebs.

But on the whole for hollow prints - those are pretty good.
    For those speeds 205 is fine.
    Oh yeah one of #40fan's tips. Try printing at 0.16 layer height.
    Quicker than 0.1 and tends to look better - really, try it :-)
    All to do with how stepper motors handle steps. basically use figures you can divide by 8 :-)

All done in Cura 2.7.0 with a good layer cooling fan as you can see in the youtube video I posted. I will try 0.16 layers tonight.
    My retraction is at 6.5mm 45mm/s

Quote Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
    .16 (actual number .1618) layer heights are best for Deltas with 20 tooth pulleys. The Tivo, any number times .04, so .16 will work for you (if I remember right).
    So All the same settings, but I should try with .16 layers right?

I wanted to improve print quality, but not that I ran out of PLA, I have a new issue.

I have come to the conclusion that something is wrong with my extruder. This is my reasoning, please tell me if I am wrong:

PEGT Package said 210-260
    -Tried 210-220: Nozzel was snagging on the infill which was becoming to hard and messed up the print
    -Tried printing a benchy at 222 and noticed it start snagging the infill so I raised the temps to 240 during the print and it succeeded with signs of overheating
    -Went back to basics and checked the extruder esteps: 100mm extrude at e916 gave me only 70mm extruded
    -Tightening the idler to put more pressure eon the filament only make it start skipping.
    -Stock setup like mine usually in the 900 range for extruder exteps, but I'd have to have it around 1300 for the numbers to add up.

Just though of something....Could be a clogged nozzle. I'll check after work.

where pet-g is concerned, try and keep your temps around 220-235. layer adhesion is apparently much better at the lower end of the printing temperature.
    IT also prints slower than pla and up the bed temp to around 60-70c

On the retraction settings - too much and too slow. 6mm is a lot of filament to keep moving. 2-3 works much better. Simplify3d default is 1.8mm and all I've ever used on my flashforge.

Retraction speed should be as fast as your machine can comfortably handle. I've found 60-70mm/s to work for mine. A retraction should be a short fast action. I tend to use a lot of retraction (moving, layer changing etc) I generally get no noticeable stringing. A small length retracted quickly works better than a long length done slowly.