Close

Hybrid View

Technician

Fastening glass to build table - Qidi XOne

i have been using binder clips and it works OK... but I find that when I remove it and then reclip it or the other glass in I most often need to readjust the level or I get bad first layers and a ball of plastic. So that sort of negates the whole idea of using clips in the first place. So I was thinking of a more permanent solution.

On my Qidi X One there is no room to install those plastic corner clips I see that are often used for other printers. So I was wondering if there is some ultra thin high temp double sided tape or some such that would work. Other ideas?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    carpet tape or double sided vinyl tape works really well.

this sort of stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SupaDec-Do...8AAOSwawpXurmH

Technician
    I have some double sided tape for installing golf grips that I think I'll try. It is similar to painters tape, only about 3/4" wide. I guess if painters tape can hold up to 100C this stuff should likewise. I ran 3 strips lengthwise. Since this is a tiny bit of insulation and only running 3 strips leaves some areas with less than total contact maybe I'll bump up my bed temps a few degrees C.

the double sided tape I used made no difference to heat transfer.
    It's very thin :-)

but double sided tape would cancel the easy removal option of glass

yep,- but if you've got it set up right - why do you need to remove the glass ?

Engineer-in-Training
    I use 0.5mm thermal silicone pad (the kind used for heatsinks), cut into five 2" squares (one for each corner and one in the middle).

It securely holds the glass in place while making it easy to remove, there's no adhesive to wear out or leave residue.

Technician
    I may try that although my golf grip tape works well. Waiting for the cool down to remove a part is annoying especially when prototyping and making revisions so would like to get back to having it removable. And maybe just lifting the glass plate and setting another down if done gently should maybe not affect the level like when I was doing it with clips.

Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    I use 0.5mm thermal silicone pad (the kind used for heatsinks), cut into five 2" squares (one for each corner and one in the middle).

It securely holds the glass in place while making it easy to remove, there's no adhesive to wear out or leave residue.