Close

New to 3D Printing!

Hi All,
    I'm totally new to 3D printing, and came across this Monoprice Select Mini 3D printer. First off is this printer easy enough for beginners? I do know a lot about building models as I have been doing so for about 18 years using Lightwave 3D, but know nothing about these printers. Do you know of any good tutorials on this printer? I also know G code programming. I was a CNC programmer at Disney World for many years. I just know nothing about a 3D printer's, and it's lingo. Any help, or advice would be great. One more thing I hear that monoprice will not service the printer after 1 year. Then what? Electronics is another hobby of mine, so replacing boards or even soldering is not a problem, but what about getting parts? Also Monoprice says to get a much older version of Cura because the newer versions can't find the com ports. I'm on a Mac, so what happens when Apple makes a newer OS, and the older software no longer runs? Thanks again for your time! Below is a Tesla coil I just built from scratch....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well first thing - throw the apple away, build a linux machine - virtually identical, about 1/4 the price, that got nothing to do with 3d printers - just general life advice :-)

Most 3d printers are pretty easy to service and repair.

The monoprice mini is a good place to start. Decent little machine.
    Wouldn't worry about com ports - you'll most likely use the card reader and control panel to run most prints anyway.
    If apple want to bugger up your computer with a new os - don't load it. It's your choice, not theirs :-)

Judging by your back ground the mini will be nothing but a launch pad into maybe a kit and then most likely just building your own from scratch. Actually a lot easier than you'd think.
    But yep - good place to start.

And no matter where you get it from - you'll do all the servicing yourself, 'cos once you've got a 3d printer, you won't want it out o action for the length of time that sending it back to the manufacturers takes :-)