Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool New 3D Printing Project That Might Blow You Away

Hey all,
    I have a new 3D printing idea that might blow some away. The only problem is I need help because I don't have access to a 3D printer just yet. So I want to see if this actually works before I
    Invest in one. So my idea right now involves making pens. I'm a pen turner. If you have no idea what that is shoot me an email and I'll send you some pictures. My idea is to make some 3D pens
    and emboss them. Another huge problem might be the size restrictions and depth restrictions that will come with the print. I hope some one can help me with this. For more details reply to this thread or email me.
    If we can get this to work I'll make that person a pen and mail it to them as a gift for the help.
    Last edited by ImSoToast; 07-31-2017 at 10:22 PM.

I figured out how to upload some pictures. I have one picture of a pen aI made with rattle snake skin that I embossed. My idea is to make a 3D cover and emboss it the way I did this rattle snake skin. I hope this gives you all a better idea of what I'm trying to do.
    Attachment 10867Attachment 10868

Quote Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
    Attachments didn't work. I have made some thin tubes, but I don't think they would last long being used as a pen.
    Well the tubes wont have to survive. What you would have to do is print the decoration as a "sleeve" to fit over a brass tube. The brass tube will act as the buffer between the soft 3D print and the mechanisms on the inside. Then the outside of the print would be embossed further protecting the decoration from the outside.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I've turned pens in the past - still got the jigs and tubes.
    can't see any reason why they couldn't be 3d printed.

drop me a line and we can discuss what sort of thing you want :-)
    There are some interesting filaments that could make attractive pens, that's for sure.

Could be a good use for the bronzefill.

Hmm, wonder if I've still got any complete kits.

Well my idea was to make a 3d print of something like "The Punisher" with the hole just big enough for the brass tube. The tube is for support. Then emboss the entire blank for protection then turn like normal. Sand and polish. For example. A single chambered pen have "the punisher" with the moon in the background etc etc.

If anyone wants to try rhis with me shoot me an email. Jonnyewalker@yahoo.com

when you say 'emboss' you don't mean what I mean, when i say 'emboss'.
    carve, mould, or stamp a design on (a surface or object) so that it stands out in relief.
    But it sounds like fun, I'll give it a go. You using 6mm tubes ?
    Or 7mm - been a while since I've made one.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    when you say 'emboss' you don't mean what I mean, when i say 'emboss'.

But it sounds like fun, I'll give it a go. You using 6mm tubes ?
    Or 7mm - been a while since I've made one.
    Sorry about the embossing term. Perhaps I'm using the wrong term. I mean to cover it in a clear polyester casting resign.
    Thanks for giving this a go mate. The particular pen I was going to do this on is a 2 chambered pen. Here are the specs on each part.

Skull Pen
    - (the one I was going to make "The Punisher" on)

UPPER BARREL- To have the moon design with a slight shadow of the punishers logo on it slightly covered in clouds
    3/8" - Diameter Tube
    1.36" - Length
    Design Cannot be thicker than .575" (.475" to be safe) So that when I "turn" the resin on the lathe it doesn't eat into the design......And hopefully it doesn't have a catastrophic failure lol!

LOWER BARREL - "The Punisher".....flames in background with his guns....or some awesome Punisher pose or whatever
    3/8" - Diameter Tube
    1.710" Length
    Cannot be thicker than .575" (Same as above) lets say .475" to be safe

OR If you want to test it out on something easier for now there's this pheonix pen style that has one chamber tube
    Tube Specs
    5/8" Diemeter
    2.67" Length
    .550" bushing sizes (so don't make the design thicker than .450")

Maybe put a phoenix rising from the flames or something?

first off - for 3d printing you'll have to start thinking in millimetres.
    I'll need links to the designs you want to use.
    No links in any of your posts. So while you keep mentioning the punisher - no actual pictures or links to the part you want printed.
    Still trying to work out how you can keep design after covering it in resin and turning the surface detail off.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    first off - for 3d printing you'll have to start thinking in millimetres.
    I'll need links to the designs you want to use.
    No links in any of your posts. So while you keep mentioning the punisher - no actual pictures or links to the part you want printed.
    Still trying to work out how you can keep design after covering it in resin and turning the surface detail off.
    When I cover it in a clear resin the detail will be inside there resin and protected. I just want the detail to be 3D but not touchable or textured. When I lathe and sand down the resin it should be close enough to the 3D design so that people can actually see it come out a little. It will be small but noticeable. It's a pen. so when someone picks it up they will be close enough to see it.
    Ok to give you a much better idea of what I'm trying to do......Lets try the easier Phoenix one first then.

As far as dimensions and thicknesses:
    Pen Mechanics.JPG
    Example Casting Resin
    ExampleCastingResin.JPG
    Phoenix Picture For 3D Purpose Pen
    3DPhoenixPenPicture.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast