Close

Exclamation abs prints not sticking

i have a Taz 6 and i cannot get abs to stick to save my soul. I've tried a clean PEI bed, glue stick hairspray bed temps from 50-110 C. i have also tried different hot end temps 220 -240 C.
    lulzbot Taz 6 with Single extruder toolhead V2.1 .5mm nozzle.
    i have also tried different initial layer line settings in Cura 21.04
    in the picture, the ruler is the bed side of the print

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    couple of things.
    1) unless you have enclosed your printer - don't bother with abs.
    2) to print abs on an unenbclosed machine you'll most likely need to use a raft. Also make sure that your print area cooling fan/s are switche off for the wholoe of the raft and the first few layers of the print itself.

The problem is that abs shrinks, quite a lot. So unless you print it in a heated environment so that the whole model is heated until done and then cools down evenly, layer adhesion is crap.
    In an open frame printer each layer cools and shrinks individually, so while you can print abs on an unenclosed machine (raft) there really isn't much point as it'll always be weaker than pla or pet-g.

Bed temp should be 90c. Most important thing is the cooling fans being off for first layers.

But realistically you've got 2 options:
    1) enclose the printer so it's got a heated print volume.
    2) use pet-g or pla.

Hello,
    An encloser is nice to have, but I print ABS without one and don't have bed adhesion issues. I use Kapton Tape with a spray mixture of ABS dissolved in Asatone. The Asatone will evaporate and leave a thin layer of ABS. ABS will bond to ABS very well and keep your print anchored to the bed. I all so recommend a bed temp of 90C. You can use blue painters tape instead of Kapton Tape, but on large surface area prints, the blue tape will pull up around the sides.

Hope this helps.